Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2007, 18:52   #16

You have to show updates of the install on the boat, please.

I can't be nicer than that.
Old 20-06-2007, 21:15   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Maddog:- No problemo...Although progress will slow a bit now. I am doing a blow out container sale at the moment where I was able to make the roof. I work 14 hour days, 7 days a week. This will be over in 16 more days and I will be on "Faiaoahe" full time finishing the dodger. By the way, I am doing this with one arm at the moment. I will take boat pics with it suspended in place before the supports. I'm glad this is working out for everyone...Aloha
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 12:50   #18

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Tnflakbait,

I have a Catalina 30 that I will be replacing the sunbrella with ply as you did. How did you stick the laminates together? I assume you did not vacuum bag them, did you use staples? Also, how did you attach the sides/windows to the top? I have been planning to run a wooden cleat around the underside for this purpose.

Thanks,
Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2007, 22:25   #19

Mikereed100:- The dodger roof you see will not be attached to any exsisting soft dodger hardware. Why build strength and mount it on a foundation of weakness? In coming updates, I will show construction of the companionway hatch cover into uprights to the roof.
I used #6 flathead screws to hold the first layer of ply to the form ribs and stringers, then epoxied and screwed the next layer down. After the epoxy kicked, removed the srews and epoxied and screwed the last layer of ply. After that dried, I used a mallet to break the unit loose of the form. You see, the screws holding the first layer down will just pull through. Then you trim it to size...Stay tuned!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 25-06-2007, 14:05   #20

Here it is at the boat, suspended by 2x2's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger 003.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger 004.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1428  

Old 06-07-2007, 18:54   #21

Here is the Dodger uprights and hatch cover being formed up. It's tacked together with single drops of 5 minute epoxy every 10"'s or so. It's a hassle but if your patient with clamping, it can be done.
Note the 1 1/4" rear uprights. I made proto-types out of wood dowels and 5 minute epoxy. Let me know if you need more details. I will begin glassing it together over the weekend.
...I will be glad when its done...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dodger3 001.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	1464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger3 002.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	1465  

Name:	Dodger3 003.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	1466  
Old 12-07-2007, 19:18   #22

Last installment for now Guys. As you see, it is all glassed and mounted. This represents 60 hours of labor and around $500. I'm due back home in Hawaii in a few days, so gel-coat and windows will have to wait for later in the year. If you have input, please do so. I feel I am the one with all the postings...Aloha...Martin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dodger3a 001.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	1504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger3a 002.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	1505  

Name:	Dodger3a 003.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	1506  
Old 16-07-2007, 09:18   #23

Very cool - It looks like you have designed a pilot house. Do soft curtains and windows on the side and front and you'll have something. Does it cover your helm? Congratulations.
Old 16-07-2007, 23:46   #24

Thanks Maddog. Front and side snap in windows are the order. If big water comes on board, it would be able to blow the windows out rather than rip the Dodger off. The helm is a 7 ft tiller connected directly to the outboard rudder. I like to call it "tiller the hun" . So, no the helm is exposed to a degree but... A Bimini is over top and there will be lee-cloths to add protection as well as a Monitor vane.
Old 17-07-2007, 01:29   #25

Hard Dodgers for cruising sailboats.

Hi All Im kind of into hard dodgers having built several from glass and core
I built my first two in Honolulu Harbour while on my way cruising from Aus to Alaska (It was damn good having one there I can tell you)
Any how I got a lot of interest and built a few more along the way and developed a method that has worked well and lets you build almost anywhere (try under a tree in the bush so the boat yard that knew everthing about any thing wouldnt get pissed off ) (they were the only ones allowed to do the work)
Iv put up a blog site recently with a selection of dodgers Iv designed and built and also a bunch of other pictures of dodgers to get ideas from
Ill post my blog site here for anyone interested and will add more here if needed
Steve Marshall now back in Queensland Australia after 14 years
Picasa Web Albums - Steve - Hard dodgers ...
Marshall Design
Picasa Web Albums - Steve
Stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 02:49   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Steve:
Those (Marshall Design) are some seriously nice dodgers.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 11:24   #27

Wow Steve...I hope you do this for a living. They are really works of art. Wish you had been on the docks when I needed you...he he he. I had to do most of the work on mine with one good arm...Martin
Old 18-07-2007, 00:25   #28

Hi Gord and Martin
I guess Im some what wrapped in hard dodgers they make such a real differance to liofe on board. One interseting side benifit if you like good sound in your cockpit is that a fiberglass dodger works Like a sound shell and amplifies and focus sound from you speakers( if they are mounted within dodger
Im also working with one arm now I seem to have pulled a muscle off my right sholder and I can only move to table height
Makes a heck of a differance when your part way through building a boat.
Steve M
Stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2007, 16:54   #29

Well...I was back in Ca. to do more work on Faiaoahe for the July/08 crossing to Hawaii (home) and gel-coated and permenantly fastened the dodger done. Also added the custom Garhauer mainsheet side brackets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boat 007.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	1982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat 008.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	1983  

Old 06-05-2008, 09:51   #30

Hi Guys...Back in Ca. again and working on the dodger. Here are the solar panel mounts using SS strap hinges with butt hinges to articulate the panels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	May08 004.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	3497   Click image for larger version

Name:	May08 005.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	3498  

Name:	May08 006.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	3499  

Tags
dodger