Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2008, 11:20   #1

gluing plastic together / lavac head

I've had a problem lately with my Lavac that others have mentioned as well. Part of the lid pulls out, and causes air to leak out. With the Lavac it's all about a good vacuum seal, so anything that leaks air is a no-no. I got the below email from Lavac support:

Quote:
Originally Posted by info@lavac.com
Hello Eric,

The plastic ring that you are referring to is actually a separate piece from the lid itself. The best resolution to the problem is to glue it in.

Thanks,

Doug
I was about ready to break out the epoxy, and use a low density filler to make the joint air tight. I need not only hold a piece of plastic into another piece, but I need the seal to be airtight. If I just go with West epoxy + hardener, I think it will be too runny and perhaps leave little holes. If I go with a soft peanut butter consistency, I can glue it in and get the seal I need.

Thoughts?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 11:50   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Rebel Heart, which plastic piece on the Lavac lids are you talking about - the attachment point for the hinge? I haven't had the same problem, and I'll have to look at my Lavacs, but is yours a Popular or Zenith model? In any case, if it is plastic to plastic and a relatively tight fit I see no problem with using the Epoxy without filler, especially if you can clamp the pieces while they set.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 11:54   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Rebel Heart, I just had another thought - the lid on one of my Lavacs is tightened as far as I can and yet will still pivot slightly from side to side on the bowl with the application of any pressure. It doesn't seem to interfere with the vacuum, so long as I wiggle it first and leave it (in the case of my head) slightly off-center to the right.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 13:32   #4

Brad;

It's on the Popular model, and it's inside the lid. If you open the lid, you'll see a piece of plastic piece that's pressed into the rim. It's also the piece that the o-ring holds onto. It ends up coming loose a bit, causing air to break through. I'll post a picture in a bit.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 21:10   #5

Boat: Dudley Dix aluminum 43'
Glues for lavac

Rebel Heart:

You have probably remedied that air leak problem by this time but just in case you haven't, Lavac recommended two glues to ourboat builder (www.deardenmarine.com) - 3M Scotch-Weld DP8005 or MrSticky's Polybonder. Epoxy was not felt to be good for this application.

Now the retaining rings in both the seat and lid are glued in and finally, both of the heads are functioning as advertised. The other problem we had with these (brand new) heads was a defective Henderson pump that allowed effluent to seep back down into the bowl - a rebuild of the pump and we checked this problem off the list as well.

Best of luck,
Namoian
Namoian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lavac