Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2017, 13:30   #1

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit
Gelplane Gelcoat Peeler

I had my boat haul out and trucked to my yard to start some extensive refitting. One of the projects is stripping the bottom to get rid of the blisters that are getting more prevalent year after year. I don't want to debate the best ways to go about this as there are many threads on that topic. I have decided that I would like to peel the bottom and a Gelplane seems to be the tool of choice.

Does any one in the Southern California area have a Gelplane Gelcoat stripper they would rent? or a used one they would like to sell?

I would also entertain quotes to have someone peel the bottom of my Hudson Force 50 at my location in Corona Ca. if you have one of these tools.

If anyone here knows of anyone that would do this on a mobile basis, I would appreciate a referral.
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 14:01   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Gelplane Gelcoat Peeler

I have seen a skilled carpenter use a 4 inch Makita electric planer to remove the gel coat on his yacht. I thought the job he did was excellent.
Good luck
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:13   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Gelplane USA
Boat Services Inc.
1866 Ottawa Beach Road
Holland, MI 49424

Tel: 616-396-6270

Email: brian@boatservices.com

Buy a new one and then sell when you're done. I'd probably pick it up from you myself if it was a fair deal.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Gelplane USA
Boat Services Inc.
1866 Ottawa Beach Road
Holland, MI 49424

Tel: 616-396-6270

Email: brian@boatservices.com

Buy a new one and then sell when you're done. I'd probably pick it up from you myself if it was a fair deal.
I talked to Brian yesterday.
He suggested the same thing. A new one shipped to me is about $3100. He said one that was used on only one boat (like mine would be) would probably sell for over $2,000. So, maybe a $900 rental fee in essence once sold.

So I will be down a minimum of $900 and doing the work myself. If someone would do the job with their tool for $1500 or less it would be worth it to me. Unfortunately I have no idea what it usually costs to do this job so I don't know what is realistic.

I called a couple of local boatyards but they didn't have the tool and wanted to sandblast it for me. I'll keep calling around hoping to find someone that owns one and would do mobile work.

Any idea what just the peeling this hull should cost? 50 foot full keel boat. Water line is about 40 feet, 6'2" draft.
Old 06-07-2017, 22:07   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind River View Post
I talked to Brian yesterday.
He suggested the same thing. A new one shipped to me is about $3100. He said one that was used on only one boat (like mine would be) would probably sell for over $2,000. So, maybe a $900 rental fee in essence once sold.

So I will be down a minimum of $900 and doing the work myself. If someone would do the job with their tool for $1500 or less it would be worth it to me. Unfortunately I have no idea what it usually costs to do this job so I don't know what is realistic.

I called a couple of local boatyards but they didn't have the tool and wanted to sandblast it for me. I'll keep calling around hoping to find someone that owns one and would do mobile work.

Any idea what just the peeling this hull should cost? 50 foot full keel boat. Water line is about 40 feet, 6'2" draft.

Here it would cost $2k-$2.5k to have peeled. Mine cost $2100 (44' waterline and 8' 9" draft) and I know the guy from way back. It's hard work!

I'd definitely give you $1500 cash. Maybe could swing 2k. Or maybe if you buy it I could bring a helper down and peel it for ya in trade? Maybe we could work something out, think about it...

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:52   #6

Have a look at the Marine Shaver Pro, watched a local guy strip several sq feet in the few minutes i observed, was hooked up to vacuum cleaner that sucked all the crap away,

Marineshaver Pro | Paint Removal | PaintShaver.com
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
Have a look at the Marine Shaver Pro, watched a local guy strip several sq feet in the few minutes i observed, was hooked up to vacuum cleaner that sucked all the crap away,

Marineshaver Pro | Paint Removal | PaintShaver.com
Thanks.
I have looked at that one but it seems it would be good for a flatter hull than mine. I have a relatively tight concave curve where the hull meets the keel that I don't think it would work on. Without the adjust-ability between the cut surface and the non cut, it would seem to me that there will be a lot of sanding afterwards to get rid of ridges and make the hull fair again.

Not having used either of these machines, I don't know if my concerns are valid or not but the videos on the Marine shaver only show them working on relatively flat surfaces while the Gelplane is shown going over convex and concave surfaces like my boat has.

Tags
gelcoat