Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 09:21   #1

Gelkote thickness with Preval sprayer

I'm concerned that I will not be able to get an adequate thickness when using the preval sprayer. The problem is that the gel that I will be using contains the wax and letting it set up will require that each layer has to be sanded before another coat is applied. I would prefer going to the non wax gel and just use PVA on the final coat, however the gel that I'm interested in has a good color match and is only available with the wax. I've been told that applying spray with a minute or two between passes is possible allowing for build up of the gel. I may be able to make 5 passes this way and get an adequate thickness. Thoughts?
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 09:56   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Gelkote thickness with Preval sprayer

Horizontal or vertical? You could load it up and the wax should float to the surface for a while but it will sag if it's vertical. I thight you could wipe off the wax with a fast drying solvent like Acetone and not need to sand. That would speed things up.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 10:09   #3

Thanks Guy. It is a vertical surface so there might be some sagging. My concern about sanding between coats is that too much would be removed even with the fine grit. If I could just do an acetone wipe between coats that would solve that particular concern. Not sure how much dry time would be needed before wiping with acetone?
Old 27-06-2013, 10:36   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Hard to say. The kind of rag you use is big, Lint will ruin everything. Play with the edges to see. Of course the last 1 or 2 coats you will need to do properly and sand or Scotch Brite.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 10:51   #5

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

I believe unwaxed gelcoat is preferred for building thickness, therefore...why can't you use the unwaxed gel in a color that is close to what you want and then a couple or three finish coats using the waxed gel in the perfect color? Thoughts?
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 11:20   #6

As time gets closer to the dreaded deed, I'll be questioning Jamestown Dist.some more about doing it the way you suggested. One of their advisors has already said that I can make multiply passes with wax gel as long as I don't wait too long between passes.(less than a couple of minutes)
Old 27-06-2013, 11:21   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Just do two coats instead of four and make sure to guide coat when finishing. Stack your coats much closer together than normal and reduce with acetone instead of MEK. Catalyze cool. You can do three coats if its not too hot out.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote