Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 18:42   #1

Gaskets instead of silicone?

I’m curious if there is such a thing as gasket material, that I could cut a custom gasket out of. I’ve got an issue with our chart plotter up at the helm, which is now back in it’s place with silicone. I’d really much rather just have a gasket than having to deal with the silicone.

Thoughts?
Old 01-02-2019, 18:48   #2
JKP

Boat: In 15 years hopefully a Lagoon 44
Re: Gaskets instead of silicone?

Check your local auto parts stores. They usually have all types of gasket sheets for various applications. If yours doesn't, they easy to order at any of the major online stores.
JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 19:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Check your local auto parts stores. They usually have all types of gasket sheets for various applications. If yours doesn't, they easy to order at any of the major online stores.
Awesome. I will look online once I've got better internet. In the Bahamas for a few months (or more).
Old 01-02-2019, 22:26   #4

Ace Hardware or other old school hardware stores will have sheets (like sandpaper) of gasket material and rubber for cutting out hour own custom gaskets. Use exacto knife. Transfer pattern onto material via ink from marker or even water on part.
rich.drennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 00:50   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

There are auto parts dealers in Barbados but I wonder if they would hold the right sort of gasket material: you wouldn't want something that was meant for retaining oil or for example high temp water in a water pump. Maybe a softer cardboard type?

What is the best gasket material?

Instead, here is a rundown of the common gasket materials and their best usage.
  • Silicone Rubber. Flexible and resistant to high temperatures, Silicone rubber is a popular choice for gasket material. ...
  • Natural Rubber. ...
  • Nitrile. ...
  • Neoprene Sponge. ...
  • Neoprene Rubber. ...
  • Cork. ...
  • Asbestos. ...
  • Viton FKM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Gasket.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	184974  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

You might try a silicone baking 'non-stick' mat/sheet, usually available in grocery & discount stores. Might work (temporarily) until you get back to "civilization".

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:03   #7

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I am aware there is a product called "Gasket in a tube" ( or something like that).

Maybe there is an appropriate product here?

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/uk/...solutions.html

SXMM0525 - SEALANTS - Radio Parts - Electronics & Components
https://www.radioparts.com.au/category/service/chemicals/sealants
Items 1 - 10 of 10 - Create a permanent air-tight, water-tight seal in seconds with this Self-Fusing ... ceramics, non-oily wood, most plastics; Ideal for pipes, vents, flues, ducting, etc. .... 28G LIQUID ELECTRICAL TAPE TUBE. Liquid electrical tape

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:37   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Gaskets instead of silicone?

Many of us will use a Manila folder or a decent piece of cardboard like off of a cereal box and make gaskets.
Not head gaskets of course but waterpump and for like what your talking about it works a treat.
You can even after you cut it out smear it with clear silicone and let it dry, makes it pretty waterproof and still leaves it flexible to conform to what needs sealing.

Many newer engine parts like valve covers and oil pans don’t have gaskets anymore, then are made new with the gasket in a tube stuff.
If you try to fit a gasket on some of these, you’ll find the bolts are too short.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Many of us will use a Manila folder or a decent piece of cardboard like off of a cereal box and make gaskets.
Not head gaskets of course but waterpump and for like what your talking about it works a treat.
You can even after you cut it out smear it with clear silicone and let it dry, makes it pretty waterproof and still leaves it flexible to conform to what needs sealing.

Many newer engine parts like valve covers and oil pans don’t have gaskets anymore, then are made new with the gasket in a tube stuff.
If you try to fit a gasket on some of these, you’ll find the bolts are too short.
Very interesting!

Now I have to find some nice cardboard.

I don't think removing old silicone, then using new silicone, every-time I want to check something... is the best solution. The cardboard solution may be a good solution for this, or something very similar.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:09   #10

Boat: Stevens 47

Yeah, silicon sealer ANYWHERE on a boat is a bad idea. It contaminates anything it touches and then nothing will seal properly again.

Most MFD makers include foam rubber gaskets with their products. Perhaps you can contact the OEM and buy one?
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:10   #11

I just found this... https://www.amazon.com/Small-Parts-N.../dp/B0075ZMFME

1/8 neoprene should do the trick.

Thankfully I've got family coming to visit in 3 weeks
Old 02-02-2019, 09:37   #12

mcmaster.com(Mcmaster-Carr) is a US based industrial hardware supplier and they have a good selection of gasket materials in their catalog. They still have a (THICK) printed catalog that we use for a reference manual. We got a 36" X 36" section of .0625 high temperature silicone material recently from them. We make our own gaskets for the bolted raw water lines. They also carry gasket making tools so the product looks professional when completed. Not cheap, but generally they have what ever we require to stay afloat. We did find a hole in their parts list: they do not carry 5/16 inch inverted flare automotive fittings that are common in old American vehicles and have made there way into old vessels.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:01   #13

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Another source, a friend of mine got this stuff from home depot and I've been mooching. It's a *lot* of gasket material for $50ish. ;^)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubber-C...-048/304266832
Old 02-02-2019, 10:06   #14

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

After some searching... I found a more reasonable amount for $22 that will fit on the boat better and a non red color.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubber-C...-012/304273403
Old 02-02-2019, 10:27   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I’ve got a leaky through hull. It’s a Forespar marlon, the type that can be disassembled. It’s on the sink drain and last year the o-rings didn’t like something we put down. They swelled and leaked. I replaced them, no problem. But this year I have a slow leak from a gasket, looks like I overtightened it.

I considered silicone gasket material. But I’m thinking of using some PVC Showe Pan Liner.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-6-...1601/100140913

I’ll be doing the work in Grenada so my options are limited. I’ve a bunch of this material already on the boat. I use it here and there for projects. I’ve had it outside covering my instruments for about 8 years with NO sign of degredation. Being made for shower liners it should be water stable. It’s a little thick, which might be an issue. But I won’t need the area completly dry to do the job.

These Forespar Marlon through hulls come equipped with a plug to insert from the water side to plug the through hull.

Comments welcome.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket