Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 15:20   #1

Boat: Morgan 27
Gas Tank Size on Refitting our M33

Refitting our Morgan 33 classic. I have removed the sole and expose the hull. Right now we have a 14 gal metal tank above the engine. (which i think is not good) I plan on installing a new tank under the new sole. and removing the tank that's over the engine. The question? I can install a 20 gal tank with no problem but I can also install a 34 gal tank but I would have to raise the floor about 3.5". Which will only give me a clearance of 69" of head room just under 6 feet. Is the loss of clearance worth the extra 14 gals of fuel? I have a 30 hp universal diesel motor and we plan on sailing to and around the carb. Thanks for the input... Cheers
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 16:36   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Gas Tank Size on Refitting our M33

That's completely a personal decision. If you don't mind inconveniencing anyone over 5'11", don't mind effectively lowering your galley counter, settees, etc, and think that is better than carrying two extra jerry jugs on the foredeck, then go for it.

Personally, I would go for the extra jugs.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 16:48   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
69" is only five nine, that's not not much head room, average height for a Male is I believe 70" or five ten
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 17:37   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

The question is how far do you plan to go...

If you are planning on cruising, 14 gals is not much fuel. You might be able to motor 200 miles or so.

That could be a bitch if you have 24 hours of head winds or 48 hours of no winds like this week along the Southern East Coast.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 19:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
69" is only five nine, that's not not much head room, average height for a Male is I believe 70" or five ten
Exactly what I am thinking, though i am only 5'3.. But from a cruisers perspective is having more gas worth it, or 4 extra Jerry jugs on deck. we will be sailing from FL to St Thomas via the throny path.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
That's completely a personal decision. If you don't mind inconveniencing anyone over 5'11", don't mind effectively lowering your galley counter, settees, etc, and think that is better than carrying two extra jerry jugs on the foredeck, then go for it.

Personally, I would go for the extra jugs.
Well as far as counter, settees, etc none of that is there. We gutted the boat down to the hull. We will be building it ontop of the new cabin sole.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:26   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131110_222552.png
Views:	138
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	70162
Old 10-11-2013, 19:39   #8

As I just said on another thread, How Much Are You Willing To Devalue Your Boat????? Going to a low headroom seriously hurts the resale value of your boat. ---------Grant
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 19:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
As I just said on another thread, How Much Are You Willing To Devalue Your Boat????? Going to a low headroom seriously hurts the resale value of your boat. ---------Grant
You know thats a good thought... I will need to look at it from that perspective as well.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:57   #10

Thinking about it. Does any one know of a good company to build a plastic tank with a depth of 6.25". I have 37" wide by 60" long.
Old 10-11-2013, 20:40   #11

Can you find another place to mount a second tank?

Having 2 tanks can be handy for a number of reasons.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 21:23   #12

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumns Wind View Post
Thinking about it. Does any one know of a good company to build a plastic tank with a depth of 6.25". I have 37" wide by 60" long.
Moeller Marine ( Moeller Marine Online - Permanent Tanks ) makes a wide range of fuel tank sizes (diesel and other); scroll down and see if they have one close to your size (the 25 & 28 gallon low, flat ones are close, but it looks like all theirs are slightly deeper than your 6.25" spec).
Don't know if they will build a custom size or not. They build OEM and other branded tanks too (Tempo, West, etc.).
I'm going to replace mine soon too.

A Bing search ( marine fuel tanks - Bing ) turns up many other manufacturers of marine fuel tanks, aluminum, plastic, etc.

For water tanks (marine and other), Ronco is a long time top rotomolded tank supplier, and will build custom sizes.
Ronco Plastics: Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks

Ronco latest catalog (pdf): http://ronco-plastics.com/newRonco/P...e2013-2014.pdf
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 22:56   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Think you'd want to keep your head room at 6' at least. I've always threatened to build a boat with 5'7' headroom, all I need, but in reality, it would be shooting myself in the foot.

Why don't you keep the tank over the engine and put in the 20 gallon of fuel in the bilge. Do you think there is some kind of safety issue with the tank near the engine?? Just a word of caution, make every effort to keep the base of the tank from resting in water. The SS fuel tanks in my W32 developed pin hole leaks after 4 years. Plastic won't be a problem but getting custom plastic tank made could be a costly adventure.

Current boat has 25 gallon tank mounted under the cockpit just aft of the engine. The tank developed some manini leaks, had a new tank made to replace it. Personally, 25 gallons with a few Gerry cans on deck is all I can see needing especially if you are going to stay in the Carribean. If you keep your cruise speed down to 5k, should burn about a 1/2 gallon an hour. That will give you 40 hours/200 miles range. Supplement that with a few Gerry Jugs and you'll have days of powering available. In thousands of miles of cruising, 36 hours is the longest stretch I've run the engine. That was only because I was afraid of losing the rig if I carried any sail.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Think you'd want to keep your head room at 6' at least. I've always threatened to build a boat with 5'7' headroom, all I need, but in reality, it would be shooting myself in the foot.

Why don't you keep the tank over the engine and put in the 20 gallon of fuel in the bilge. Do you think there is some kind of safety issue with the tank near the engine??
I am sure its safe, but not a chance I will take. I was working on a yacht and during a passage from Belize to Mono Island our water pump seized up and caught on fire. Granted we put it out with no problens. A metal tank ss or alum could devlop pin holes and the fact its suspended above the motor is a recipe for disaster.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:42   #15

Just want to give a big shout out to every one for provoking my thinking and causing to search deeper and not give up the head room. I found a tank at a liquidator store that is 40gals and only 5" in depth. This tank was design for only one kind of boat. The tank was never used because they stoped production. The staff at Moeller were wonderful and even sent me the specs. It will be a great fit... Happy Monday and fair winds.

Tags
refit, size