Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 23:35   #1

Galley Range Hood?

I would like to install a range hood in my galley I have room for a 4" flexible duct and a 5" wide chase above the stove. I found a flush range hood at an online retailer in au, has anyone found one in the us that is similar?

Caravans Plus - DIY Parts & Accessories

Joey
thefilthywhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:38   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Where are you going to vent the 4"duct to?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:42   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
perhpas you could make a stanchion that doubles as a duct for the range bu no way you'll want a four inch diameter sanchion. Would a dorade work? venting i tricky at best.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:25   #4

I have a center cockpit sloop with a large chase in the combing located directly above the stove.

I am removing a forced air heater that vents out the side of the combing and was thinking the empty hole left from the exhaust is right above the stove. what a great spot to locate a range hood vent.

the forced air heater is being replaced with a hydronic heater in a better location below decks. no more inefficent down draft system.

I am looking for ideas or products that will work for the install. I have looked at RV range hoods similar to what you would find in a house, but the exhaust location is in the wrong spot, either out the back or out the top in the back.

I don't want grease dripping from it so it needs to have a grease filter and needs to be made of a non corrosive metal or plastic.

I can always vent with a engine blower and a clamshell vent, but the grease filter and interior fitting is the dificult part.

thanks for any ideas you can offer

Joey
thefilthywhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 23:28   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Even with a filter I'd be concerned with residual grease building up in the combing.

Putting in a duct all the way from the hood to the clamshell, that’s possible to remove, may a cleaner way.

Having the motor easily accessible for cleaning/replacing may be helpful.

As for the hood...I'd be thinking about building one...at the end of the day its little more than a holder for the filters...I'd probably start by finding some good quality filter/s of the proper size, then its just a matter of building a bracket with an enclosed top that the vent can be attached too.

If you could post some picture of the place you want to install it I may come up with a better solution.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood