Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2007, 04:51   #16

Might want to consider making the threading blind on your retaining ring. Diesel seems to find a way to wick up the thread no matter what.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 08:14   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Thanks Gord
Joli what is a blind thread?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 10:42   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A Blind Fastening is one that does not penetrate through the host (substrate) material.
A Blind thread is cut with a Bottoming tap, wherein the thread stops short of penetrating the backer. The bolt goes into to the threaded backer, but does not penetrate to the inside, obviating the requirement for a sealant (there is no through hole).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 10:56   #19

Thanks again Gord. I assume that will require a special bit and tap. I don't know if it would work on a 1/4" plate. Don't think there would be enough threads.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 20-12-2007, 12:11   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yes, square ended "bottoming" taps are required.

I think you’re right.
Notwithstanding, that an access plate might be an unloaded (static) fastening application, I would still recommend 5 full threads of engagement.
Hence, a ¼-20 bolt should be threaded at least ¼” deep, which precludes a “blind” fastening in ¼” plate. In this application, you'd have to rely upon a sealant.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 12:54   #21

As Gord mentioned, use a bottom tap. Maybe go up in material thickness to 3/8 or 1/2" for your base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Yes, square ended "bottoming" taps are required.

I think you’re right.
Notwithstanding, that an access plate might be an unloaded (static) fastening application, I would still recommend 5 full threads of engagement.
Hence, a ¼-20 bolt should be threaded at least ¼” deep, which precludes a “blind” fastening in ¼” plate. In this application, you'd have to rely upon a sealant.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 13:29   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I noticed that the commercial port uses Buna N material for the gasket. This is the better choice over sealant. It makes it possible to reseal the tank with the same gasket. Given at some point down the road you will of course open it up and you will need to close it too. bet you won't have replacement sealant handy then? It's 100% suited for fuel and you can buy the material yourself. Try McMaster-Carr
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 14:02   #23

Someone on th forum PMed me with a different idea. Instead of working inside the tank with 1/4" plate he suggexted working outside of the tank with 3/4 x 1 stock. From there I would use Joli's idea of blind threading.

1) Drill holes every 1/2 on alternate side of the 3/4 x 1 stock. Blind tap (?) all the holes on both sides of the stock. (Thanks Joli)

2) Weld stock into a rectangle. (thanks Pat)

3) cut access hole in tank.

4) Drill holes in the tank aligned with tapped holes on the bottom of the rectangle of 3/4 x 1 stock

5) apply permatex to the bottom of rectangle and then fasten to the outside of the tank. (thanks David M and Gord)

6) Cut plate to cover rectangle with holes drilled so that they are aligned with tapped holes on top of rectangle.

7) Use Buna N material as gasket. Then fasten plate to cover rectangle. (thanks Paul)
Wow what a great team effort. Thanks for all the help and advice

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 20-12-2007, 14:38   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Sounds like plan. We will be out in the morning to complete the job. You will require a large quantity of beer to test the tank.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 09:06   #25

Sounds good Paul. I will probably need to get a keg of that really good PNW Beer and we can test a prototype on the aluminum keg to verify we have drank every last drop.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 21-12-2007, 12:49   #26

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Someone on th forum PMed me with a different idea. Instead of working inside the tank with 1/4" plate he suggexted working outside of the tank with 3/4 x 1 stock. From there I would use Joli's idea of blind threading.

1) Drill holes every 1/2 on alternate side of the 3/4 x 1 stock. Blind tap (?) all the holes on both sides of the stock. (Thanks Joli)

2) Weld stock into a rectangle. (thanks Pat)

3) cut access hole in tank.

4) Drill holes in the tank aligned with tapped holes on the bottom of the rectangle of 3/4 x 1 stock

5) apply permatex to the bottom of rectangle and then fasten to the outside of the tank. (thanks David M and Gord)

6) Cut plate to cover rectangle with holes drilled so that they are aligned with tapped holes on top of rectangle.

7) Use Buna N material as gasket. Then fasten plate to cover rectangle. (thanks Paul)
Wow what a great team effort. Thanks for all the help and advice
That will work too! the only down fall is your trying to line up the bolts thru the rubber and twisting the rubber as the bolt goes in unless the rubber has an over size clearance hole. The industry has pretty much went with the studs sticking out routine unless it is a deck hatch where people have to walk over it.

Either way works!

PS: Buy the Red Hook
Old 21-12-2007, 14:16   #27

Hi Del:

Red Hook. One of my favorites. I had this nagging feeling I was forgetting someone when I wrote that last post. And Now I know who. Thanks for your input. I thought studs would be easier maybe I should buy all thread (for the top) rather than bolts to make it work.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad

Tags
fuel, fuel tank