Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2007, 16:51   #1

Franmar's Soy Strip

This stuff is amazing:

Franmar Chemical - Environmentally Friendly Cleaners and Removers

Just because of the cost I'm not going to use it for everything. Straight away sections can be done easily / quickly (and much cheaper) using a heat gun and scraper.

But the corners / edges / grooves that are a total pain in the ass, this stuff cuts through like nobody's business. Has anyone else used this stuff? I know it says it's for fiberglass, but on the jar it says for wood as well, and it started bubbling off the old crap in a manner of minutes.

The safety label says that you can drink it and it will give you an upset stomach. 100% soybeans.

Any thoughts / experience before I get too carried away?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2007, 18:13   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
This stuff is amazing:

But the corners / edges / grooves that are a total pain in the ass, this stuff cuts through like nobody's business. Has anyone else used this stuff? I know it says it's for fiberglass, but on the jar it says for wood as well, and it started bubbling off the old crap in a manner of minutes.

The safety label says that you can drink it and it will give you an upset stomach. 100% soybeans.

Any thoughts / experience before I get too carried away?

It must be Bio-diesel.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 13:14   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
I got a gallon of this stuff FREE, so I figured it was no good. It was left on the free table at our marina.

I am glad to say I was wrong, this is the best stripper I have used. The varnish on our cockpit grates came off super easy in one coating. It took of the Poly from our floorboards quite easily. I ran out towards the end, and bought a gallon of chemical stripper from the hardware store - it did not even compare.

I had some old pieces of paper from using "Peel away" that I laid onto the stripper when it was wet. This helped to keep the stuff wet longer, reducing drying time. I think you coud do the same ting with saran wrap, or or wax paper.

I was a bit shocked to see the price, about $75.00 but it is worth it in my opinion.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote