Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 16:10   #1

Boat: Cape George 36
Favorite Close Quarters Power Saw

I hate portions of my interior and am considering sawing out some of the previous owners poor furnishing decisions (there's a corner of a cabinet that jabs me in the calf in the V-berth among other things) and just building new.

I've given a Fein Tool with a flush cut saw blade a try. It isn't doing the job. looking for more horsepower. Considering an angle grinder with a saw blade attachment or something.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:17   #2

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible
Re: Favorite close quarters power saw?

Take a look at this....

Dremel Saw-Max

Just bought one for the Admiral...Works pretty good....LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 16:32   #3

Boat: Cape George 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterHoursNLCT View Post
Take a look at this....

Dremel Saw-Max

Just bought one for the Admiral...Works pretty good....LL
Was looking at those - how does it handle the occasional bronze screw? I expect I'll hit a bunch and I've tried to remove them but they are in TIGHT. Tired of twisting off heads.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I suggest extreme caution in using an angle grinder with a saw blade. I seem to recall serious injury being caused by such a setup.

What about a Reciprocating Saw?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 21:54   #5

Boat: Tartan 30

I'd use an angle grinder if nothing else will reach it. Or get as close as you can with jig saw or something like that, then grind the rest away with an angle grinder or sander.
Old 03-02-2012, 22:33   #6

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Fein master Multi or Bosch multitool.
For precision cutting in a confined space. Those are the last cutting tools we have added to our kit. Lasted 2yrs before someone nicked them.
These tools can save you heaps of time.
Sabre recipro with a 300mm flexible blade comes close second for those tricky fastening removals
Otherwise the trusty (hohum) skilsaw- cut & carve.
Gotta have 'em all!

Sorry stilh, you are still my favorite. (Petrol powered)
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 22:57   #7
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Never ever ever put a saw blade on an angle grinder, it's an incredibly dangerous setup. Odds of self-mutilation are very high, I have personally seen a very experienced pro who swore by this method really mess himself up. DON'T do it. I myself will occasionally do this on solid glass with a carbide abrasive saw only, and even then it's dangerous and requires at least a full face and heavy gloves. With a regular saw blade in it's a tool which gives me shudders, and I run both a peeler and a turboshear.
For really tight spaces, if it's too tight for conventional tools like a sawzall etc., and the Fein isn't gutsy enough, I like to use either a Kett Saw or a pneumatic file. Both are pneumatic. Both have loads of power and are really small. The pneumatic files take hacksaw blades, which is nice since they will cut almost anything, super high RPM's. Also you can snap the blades off to any length you need, or even bend a blade with pliers to get an angle you couldn't otherwise. Super short stroke allows this. If you are cutting solid glass or glass with a non-ply core, try the Fein saw with the carbide abrasive blade in a bell housing. These cut very aggresively on solid glass, but not wood. They cost $80-$90 bucks a pop though.
But please don't try the saw blade in a grinder technique. Seriously.

Viking Air Tools Reciprocating Air Saw and File | Wayfair

Kett Tool Company : Saws
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viking-Air-Tools-Reciprocating-Air-Saw-and-File.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	36897  
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:46   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Never ever ever put a saw blade on an angle grinder, it's an incredibly dangerous setup. Odds of self-mutilation are very high, I have personally seen a very experienced pro who swore by this method really mess himself up. DON'T do it. I myself will occasionally do this on solid glass with a carbide abrasive saw only, and even then it's dangerous and requires at least a full face and heavy gloves. With a regular saw blade in it's a tool which gives me shudders, and I run both a peeler and a turboshear.
For really tight spaces, if it's too tight for conventional tools like a sawzall etc., and the Fein isn't gutsy enough, I like to use either a Kett Saw or a pneumatic file. Both are pneumatic. Both have loads of power and are really small. The pneumatic files take hacksaw blades, which is nice since they will cut almost anything, super high RPM's. Also you can snap the blades off to any length you need, or even bend a blade with pliers to get an angle you couldn't otherwise. Super short stroke allows this. If you are cutting solid glass or glass with a non-ply core, try the Fein saw with the carbide abrasive blade in a bell housing. These cut very aggresively on solid glass, but not wood. They cost $80-$90 bucks a pop though.
But please don't try the saw blade in a grinder technique. Seriously.

Viking Air Tools Reciprocating Air Saw and File | Wayfair
Kett Tool Company : Saws
Are you listening people?--GOOD advice IMO
Old 04-02-2012, 04:03   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I use a twin saw a lot when the Fein hasn't got the jazz to make it happen.

Kett Saws are pretty handy too
Old 04-02-2012, 04:36   #10

Boat: O'Day 28

A buddy has a grinder with some sort of 4" (102?mm) ultra high test kreptonite blade on it. I think it's actually a stone cutter but it's metal for sure. It has been the tool of choice for MANY an oddball job. Cuts FRP and everything else like butta. No one asks to borrow it tho. The owner calls it the "wheel of death."
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:43   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

If you are trying to remove something entirely, I would go for a handsaw (Padsaw) to roughly remove 90%+. Might take a little while, but if no longer fussed by keeping a straight line makes the job easier.

Or just use an angle grinder to do the same (smaller size probably easier to handle onboard).

The tidying up / going back to the hull being a seperate job - but now have access from a different angle - can use the angle grinder from above (or a chisel). For finishing off would go for a sanding disc (on a Drill), if not used before will be surprised how much / quickly it removes stuff.....well, I was!

errr....pretty much the same as CallmeCrazy said!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:58   #12

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Google toe kick saws. Harbor Freight has one by Chicago Electric, that is a reasonable price for a limited use tool. That may reach where you need to cut.
Saw blade and grinder is a bad idea. Wound up with several stitches and got to see tendons in action after using a grinder with a flap blade, and no guard to reach into a difficult location on the boat. I used power tools every day when I worked full time.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:12   #13

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

In my experience, a reciprocating saw isn't long on precision but it sure rips up stuff fast. I disassembled my entire interior with one, cutting through nails, screws, bolts etc. I suspect that without it, I would still be trying to take the icebox apart. I guess it depends on what you want to trash and what needs to be saved. Be careful with it and it should do the job, but you may need to do some finish work as well.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote