Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 23:42   #1

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
EMERGENCY SITUATION - Help needed Panama City Panama

I have a problem. My boat is in Panama City at anchor and I am in Canada. The caretaker just told me the pumps have failed and she is taking on water. I need to get her to a haul out as fast as possible. Taking the next plane down is difficult and will cost a fortune even if I could get a flight as it is Canada Day weekend and the busiest holiday of the year.
Anyone know of a yard that could pick her up, tow her in and lift out as the starter motor has failed (that's why she was stuck there). Boat is 35ft mono
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 00:32   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: EMERGENCY SITUATION - Help needed Panama City Panama

Marina Flemenco has a travel lift. Can you get the care taker to set up a tow over to the haulout?
Old 28-06-2017, 00:40   #3

Just sent an email to Flamenco to see if we can do that. I tried to get a berth there but they were completely full, hoping they have hard standing available. Not sure how well the caretaker will cope so hoping that if they can all he needs to do is show them where the boat is.
Old 28-06-2017, 00:46   #4

Are you anchored in Las Brisas? Thats a lot closer to the marina than La Playita. Is it a cruiser who is care taking? Seems they get someone with a panga to tow it over to the haulout.
Old 28-06-2017, 01:01   #5

On the panama city side of the causeway about 1/2 mile from the entrance to the marina but not sure which side the lift is. Alli and Gurti are looking after her and live on board close by but are having to bail with buckets every couple of days I will email them and see if they know anyone who could do the tow
Old 28-06-2017, 01:06   #6

The travel lift is inside Flemenco marina.

Good luck. I,"d call the marina in the morning rather than rely on email.
Old 28-06-2017, 01:10   #7

Anyone know anything about the habour authority and whether they would be any help?
Old 28-06-2017, 01:31   #8

If you download the latest Panama City Cruisers Guide you"ll see a reference on the shipyard at Flemenco being taken over by a separate company.
Also contact info for the water taxis in Las Brisas, maybe one of them would tow you.

Not sure if you know Rogelio, but he can be very helpful to cruisers. Contact info in cruisers guide.
Old 28-06-2017, 05:52   #9
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I don't know what a fortune is to you, but there are excellent tickets available from Vancouver to Panama City for less than $600. IMO, get on a plane and take care of your boat.
Old 28-06-2017, 06:08   #10

Boat: Anastasiades One off 132'

actually indeed, a 600 dollar ticket and a new battery and bilgepump will far outweigh the cost of the marina lifting and storing you on the hard.

boats left on anchor alone are usually not the smart way to go, this is again the living proof of that.

I've been in Panama for about a year and you can't expect help from marine authorities, they'd rather let your boat sink than lift a finger.
lifemiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 09:10   #11

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Any chance of getting someone to dive her and plug all through hulls for now. Hoping that is where the leak may be. Unless it is packing gland then maybe they could wrap that from inside or outside.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 09:23   #12

You'll have to get the pump repaired/replaced at some point anyway, why not do it / have it done now. How are you charging the batteries?
Is there another pump that can be re plumbed to empty the bilge.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 11:24   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

There are towing companies in just about every US port. TowBoat US is just about everywhere (800-391-4869). Call and arrange for haul out then call for the tow. Your friends may need to be there to sign for the service. Depending on the distance $200 will probably cover the tow, haul out another $300. However, the same $200 will probably cover the cost of replacing the pump. Can your friend isolate the problem some; leak, failed or clogged pump, bad or jammed switch, dead battery/failed charger, etc. If not there are probably several marine service companies who can diagnose and repair your problem at $100 per hour or so. I would rather spend on fixing the problem rather than a haul out. Good luck because working by remote control is always a bitch!
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 11:37   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Dave, do they operate in foreign countries like Panama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
There are towing companies in just about every US port. TowBoat US is just about everywhere (800-391-4869). Call and arrange for haul out then call for the tow. Your friends may need to be there to sign for the service. Depending on the distance $200 will probably cover the tow, haul out another $300. However, the same $200 will probably cover the cost of replacing the pump. Can your friend isolate the problem some; leak, failed or clogged pump, bad or jammed switch, dead battery/failed charger, etc. If not there are probably several marine service companies who can diagnose and repair your problem at $100 per hour or so. I would rather spend on fixing the problem rather than a haul out. Good luck because working by remote control is always a bitch!
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 11:47   #15

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

There are many marine service companies in Panama City, many will come to your boat for $100/hour or so. Call a local for recommendation or just Google one. Have a mechanic diagnose and fix your problem- bad or clogged pump, bad or blocked switch, bad battery or charger, etc. It would be helpful if a friend could be there on the first call. If you are not in a slip, you might have to put the boat into one. TowBoat US (800-391-4869) is one of many available services. You can do an awful lot with phone and credit card. Flying in is a sheer waste.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, Panama