Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2014, 07:20   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: East Coast Boatyards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem.S.Coyle View Post
HappyMdR,

Your generosity is exceeded only by your intuition.

David,

My guy had to take a delivery job this weekend, and I am still semi-snowed-in, so the radar-mounting job has been postponed until next Saturday.

Not sure how much difference it makes, but I thought I'd seek to clarify your needs a smidge. If I recall correctly, all the work you referenced could be done while still afloat. Were there other things on your list that might necessitate a haul-out?
I fear the problem is.... That I default to ignoring my intuition.... You might even say I have become quite adept at it!

Get up that mast you pansy! I was out in the snow working on a 25 hp phase converter problem!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 07:23   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Another vote for Jeff Schroeder and his crew in Urbanna. Everyone in the yard is an experienced old salt, no young junior folks to screw stuff up. And the work will cost you about 1/2 what it would cost in Annapolis.

Jcolman, my boat is the blue Valiant right in front of the shop door. With any luck on the weather I'll have the last of the work finished and be back in the water in a few weeks.
Beautiful boat! I'll probably see you again next week. I'm driving up Thursday or Friday to continue working on my boat.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 15:21   #33

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem.S.Coyle View Post
Not sure how much difference it makes, but I thought I'd seek to clarify your needs a smidge. If I recall correctly, all the work you referenced could be done while still afloat. Were there other things on your list that might necessitate a haul-out?
Just the refrigeration and a transducer for depth/speed I think.

All this snow is making me so mad! All I want to do is get the damn boat in the water!

I am going to check out Schroeder Yacht Systems in VA and see what they have to say.

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 16:24   #34

Boat: Beneteau 323

Consider one of the boat yards in Deltaville, VA. We had good luck with Chesapeake Boat Works. It is a non-nonsense yard that is a popular refit spot for foreign flagged cruising boats. Deltaville in general is far less expensive service spot than Annapolis.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 12:08   #35

I'm still waiting to hear back from Schroeder systems, but I think I may just go with the Bert Jabin's route. There is a contractor there called Engineered Marine Systems which was recommended from the broker that will do a complete installation of everything I need, which will eliminate the need for hiring multiple contractors. Also Kato Marine is located there as well and that will make things easier for having an arch/bimini built.
Old 24-02-2014, 12:20   #36

Boat: Valiant 40

Kato does the best work around...absolutely beautiful stuff, but you pay for the privilege. EMS does good work as well from what I hear so you should be in good hands.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 12:42   #37

Push hard on the price from EMS and Kato. An advantage of dealing with top names is that you can expect no surprises in the final bill. Obviously, get a written fixed price quote.

And with a little effort you should be able to negotiate a good discount as your job sounds reasonably large and this is a slow time of year. Make them "win" the business.

Even with the discount it won't be cheap
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 12:52   #38

That's what I was figuring, with the size of the install. It's going to be windlass, refrigeration, electronics, autopilot.

I'm kind of dreading the price quote from Kato, especially since I want a rigid bimini to be part of the design.

Tags
boatyards, east coast