Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 06:17   #1

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Drogue attachment points?

I am currently rebuilding/recoring the decks of my Alberg 30 and am considering adding some reinforcement to the lazarette decks where I would attach a jordan series drogue if I ever needed one.

I will be adding G10 board where core would be at the attachment cleat but my question is how large of an area should I replace? I will be putting G10 under all deck fittings to prevent water from getting back into balsa core and keep the deck from compressing.Is this the best option for attaching the drogue or should I consider another area, maybe some chainplates attached to the hull stern quarters???

Would like to see where others attach their drogues, what if any special reinforcements were added to strengthen area.

Thank you
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:53   #2

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter
Re: Drogue attachment points?

my stern mooring cleats are 10" sillybronze with large feet and deck mounted through 3/4" g10 core replacement thats glassed in with 8 layers of 17oz biax top and bottom. they are placed directly over my laz bulkhead which is itself heavily tabbed to the deck and hull, 2 bolts aft and 2 bolts forward of the bulkhead. near by fairleads through the bulwarks minimize chafe on dock lines/warps/drogue bridle etc.

i honestly think you could pick up the whole boat from these two points, and a failure would involve ripping the whole back of the boat off. easy and not much more money to err on the side of caution...

my .02
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 13:26   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

I mounted ours on the stern quarters just in front of the transom. It was a good spot on this boat for chafe issues what with a windvane and all. I used 1/4" 4"x6" stainless pads and backing plates.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 14:20   #4

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Thank you for the responses so far. I will be installing backing plates as well. Any photos of said installs would be appreciated.

thanks guys
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drogue, men