Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 12:42   #16

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Re: Do I want to build one of these things?

As long as you realize up front that it is a financial folly then go for it. I have spent years working on other peoples projects so that I can then waste that money on my own. Looks like a fun boat.

I must say though I liked the earlier comment about building boats and sailing boats are two totally different hobbies.

Good luck.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 13:47   #17

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

There is joy in building your own boat, once. If you primary interest is saving money, forget it. If you want something that will take more of everything than you anticipated, but will provide a return, mostly minor, but some much larger, long, long after the boat is gone, do it.
Old 02-01-2017, 16:19   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
There is joy in building your own boat, once. If you primary interest is saving money, forget it. If you want something that will take more of everything than you anticipated, but will provide a return, mostly minor, but some much larger, long, long after the boat is gone, do it.
It's the self satisfaction, of saying, I did it, not a cost savings. Your labor is free.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 16:38   #19

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It's the self satisfaction, of saying, I did it, not a cost savings. Your labor is free.
My labor always has value, at least to me, but it is not always calculated in money.
Old 02-01-2017, 16:47   #20

Quote:
My labor always has value, at least to me, but it is not always calculated in money.
It can be calculated in memories. Not tangible to anyone else.
Old 02-01-2017, 17:44   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

If you are willing to take on a project like this go for it. That this boat will cost $10,000 dollars and take years to build is crazy talk. Go on Youtube and do a search on ''stitch and glue''. Skeptics galore on this CF. It will take a few months of dedicated work to build it, I could build this boat for less than $2000, but I doubt you would sell it for that. Mast and boom could easily be laminated. Hardware, search E-bay. It's a cute little boat.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 20:23   #22

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
If you are willing to take on a project like this go for it. That this boat will cost $10,000 dollars and take years to build is crazy talk. Go on Youtube and do a search on ''stitch and glue''. Skeptics galore on this CF. It will take a few months of dedicated work to build it, I could build this boat for less than $2000, but I doubt you would sell it for that. Mast and boom could easily be laminated. Hardware, search E-bay. It's a cute little boat.

Nope. Unless you build it from cheap plywood and polyester , there is no way you can complete this in the condition shown in the photos for that price. I built a stitch and glue nesting 9' dinghy with the correct materials and it ran about $1500 all said and done.

Oh yeah.... I sold it for $300 a year later.

Matt
Old 02-01-2017, 20:52   #23

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Nope. Unless you build it from cheap plywood and polyester , there is no way you can complete this in the condition shown in the photos for that price. I built a stitch and glue nesting 9' dinghy with the correct materials and it ran about $1500 all said and done.

Oh yeah.... I sold it for $300 a year later.

Matt
Wow, how many sheets of marine plywood can it take to build a 9ft dinghy? 4? 4 sheets of marine grade plywood, about $250.00. Glass, screws, paint, $1250? Where are you shopping man?
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 20:53   #24

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Certainly one of the nicer small kit boats I have ever seen.

A few years ago dad got a friend with some model boat CAD software to knock out plans for a small rowing boat, about 16 feet from memory. Lovely lines, extraordinarily fast but also quite tippy.

Anyway, he built the thing over a winter while my step mother was overseas. He is an experienced boat restorer and a very competent carpenter but it still took the whole winter.

But I think he loves that boat more than any of the others three or four that sit at his jetty on a given day of the year.

I say go for, I am a little envious that I don't have the time. Maybe one day.

Matt
Old 02-01-2017, 22:55   #25

Boat: Precision 18

I have to agree with the others who are encouraging you to look into trailersailer options (unless you have a real passion for building things). I've seen a number of Precision 18s for sale (with trailers, outboards, pfds, etc included) for considerably less than the kit price. I'm partial to the Precisions, though there are some other great trailerable boats out there too (Compac 16, Montgomery 17) that I have also seen cruising around the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior. Just my thoughts.
olaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 00:50   #26

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Your right I should have never sugested such a minor it about 25 pound mod to this boat ( I have just been designing and building boats most of my life) hence I showed him the plans for the blue moon .
My first opportunity to get back to you Newhaul.
It has little to do with an additional 25#.

The cockpit on this little boat is at best, about 7'-6" long.
The tiller is certainly at least 3' long (if not more), leaving a clearance or working space of maybe 4'-6" (I'm being generous here).
You are suggesting it is OK to reduce this space by yet another 2' . . . ?

I just don't see this as a viable modification Newhaul . . . no matter how many boats you may have designed or built.

I'm no designer by any stretch of the imagination but I do have experience building small sailboats, two of which were "kit" boats.
On two occasions I decided to contact the designer to discuss changes I thought I would like to make. One such idea was to make a change similar to your suggestion for this little boat.
I was informed such a mod was no small thing and would need re-engineering to take into consideration hull integrity and more.
Basically, I was warned I should NOT modify the plans no matter what, as any change to the design or construction plans would release the designer and the manufacturer from any and all liability. I am of course, referring to Kit boats.
I respect their expertise and advice.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 14:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
If you are willing to take on a project like this go for it. That this boat will cost $10,000 dollars and take years to build is crazy talk........ Skeptics galore on this CF.....
Yes my friend, it seems that there is quite a bit of skepticism here, some healthy - some not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 points to go from:

1) I build things for a living, and really have my heart in it.

2) I am either busy with work or I am not. (ie: self employed)

3) I do not suffer fools lightly (precious little appreciation for poor workmanship, least of all my own.)

That all being said, I was just asking if anyone had actually sailed one of these outside of the the conditions shown and what their opinions were of the handling characteristics.

My actual preferences in design lie with the likes of N. Herreshoff or C. Payne. However, those type of designs do not trailer easily nor are they simple to build. If one was wealthy enough they could hire Chuck to design them a trailer sailor (If he would even want to!) but you'd be certainly better off simply purchasing one of his existing designs and dealing with the consequences.

I think what I am more concerned about is building something from the drawings and then only to find that it didn't sail well due to limitations in design or misapplication. I just do not want to waste my time, that's all
Diesel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 14:41   #28

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Looks like fun boat to make and to sail. Personal pride sortof thing. Talk of changing deck /hatch layout may not work good. If you can't stand inside you'll find yourself on your knees on deck working lines unless your arms are really long .Personally I really like the little ship.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 13:45   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Here ya go already built. The next size up from The blue moon and its on a trailer to.
19' Weekender Wooden Sail boat with trailer
Dont know anything about it just saw it on cl

Heres some info on the weekender
http://www.stevproj.com/IntroWkndrPg1.html
Old 08-01-2017, 13:53   #30

Quote:
I believe we are on the same page. :smile