Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2011, 14:30   #1

Boat: Glander Cay 23
Do I have to put my engine in?

I have a Bristol 24 and the inboard Renault Diesel was removed for one reason or another. I was wondering two things:
1. can I put the boat in the water without installing the engine? Is it going to leak? How can I check the stuffing box easily?

And 2. How can I bench test a 9HP Single cylinder Diesel before putting it back in the boat?

Any help would be appreciated.
SPCarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 14:44   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Do I have to put my engine in?

There should be no issue floating a sailboat without an engine as long as you take care to secure all through hulls (INCLUDING the exhaust). The stuffing box may leak at first, this is expected. Tighten it only if the leak continues more than a day or so.

To bench test a small diesel you need a sturdy mount, a 12V and fuel source, and a water supply. The plumbing is going to be engine dependent... some diesels have a fuel return line, some do not etc.... If you don't feel comfortable, take it to a mechanic and be safe.
Old 13-04-2011, 14:51   #3

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor

Yes you can install the engine as long as you have sea cocks for the water inlet and the the prop shaft is still in.

Yes you can bench test the engine you will need to run a fuel line or most likely run 2 fuel lines (one inlet one return) to a fuel can. You can also run a hose from water pump to a bucket of water, just know your going to get a lot of exhasut water out the exhuast you may want another bucket.
You will need to bleed the fuel system, and then start it using a battery with jumper cables to the starter. Just make sure you know how to shut off the fuel to stop it And you can may want to tie a a rope or strap to it and secure it over the engine to something to keep it from torquing the engine over onto its side.
I have tested engines like this before.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 06:07   #4

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard CF and enjoy.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 06:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SPCarroll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
Yes you can install the engine as long as you have sea cocks for the water inlet and the the prop shaft is still in ...
Independently secure the prop shaft so that it cannot back out of the stern tube.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 10:00   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Bench testing an engine - make sure it sits right and has cooling water available. If testing inside then lead the exhaust hose outside - remember carbon monoxide is dangerous.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 14:56   #7

Thanks for all the help! I was just wondering if anyone has any experience going completely engineless in a heavy little cruiser like my Bristol. She desplaces about 6,000 pounds and has a full keel, so I would assume she's not too nimble. I'll probably need the inboard just to get around the harbor and to charge my batteries. Any help or anecdotes would be appreciated.
Old 16-04-2011, 15:07   #8

you could attach an outboard bracket to the transom and rig it up with steering cables if you don't want the inboard.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 16:57   #9

Boat: Pearson 281

I ran a 32' LeComte Medalist and a 24' Columbia Challenger w/o engines for awhile while arranging engine and outboard respectively.

Very doable in the size boat you are talking about... I'd encourage the effort: patience practice practice practice patience and if you are marina based dockmates who have dingys in the water with outboards or who can help warping off

It can be unnerving at times and the first time I brought the Callenger in under sail did a big Shamu hitting the dock... this was how I met my dockmates

oh, did I say patience, practice practice practice, patience. Take it easy and get to know the boat.

I'd vote for some sort of outboard installation over an inboard for the boat you describe actually.

Sail on...
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 17:06   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

No problem using an outboard on a heavy keeler, if you can accept the fumes, the noise, the inconvenience. There are some pros too.

Even when the inboard is there, it is nice to have a back-up.

Offshore or in any chop it becomes less and less fun.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 20:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No problem using an outboard on a heavy keeler, if you can accept the fumes, the noise, the inconvenience. There are some pros too.

Even when the inboard is there, it is nice to have a back-up.

Offshore or in any chop it becomes less and less fun.

b.
My suggestion is based mostly on my experience of the fumes, the noise, the inconvenience of a diesel engine in a small sailboat. If there is chop, isn't there wind?

I also understand however that if a sailor is cruising around areas heavily influence by tidal action it is hard to argue for no inboard and that if one needs to be generating a lot of power for batteries etc. an inboard can be handy though a dedicated generator is better.

Having started us down the slippery slope of yet another inboard vs outboard or no engine debate I will say that at this moment I am faced with a big bill for an injector pump replacement and am longing for the simpler days of a 8hp two stroke for back-up and sailing in and out of my slip in my heavy keeler w/o the hassle of dealing with an engine at all. Were I not in love with my boat and the idea of a canal transit I would chuck my engine all together or downsize to a smaller boat (Cape Dory 25... yummm) and return to an outboard in a minute.
Old 16-04-2011, 21:48   #12

SP...
I didn't say welcome nor did I say congrats on the beautiful boat. I noticed that your Bristol is certainly heavier than my old Challenger but the cut-away forefoot full keel you have will help with maneuverability.
I'll bet she's pretty comfortable in a seaway!

Take a good look at the engine and how it fits into the space, If you haven't done so you might check where the bleed points are and other fittings you will need to access. I would assume that the engine is pretty tightly fitted and if it's difficut to get at then maintenance will suffer. Check access to the stuffing box as well... just make sure that you won't have to kill youself to try to take care of the engine, etc. The more convenient to access the better.
If you want to find out if the inboard is neccessary it's easy enough to temporarily attach an outboard for getting in and out of the slip though this would not help with generating electricity. Easy enough to hang onto the inboard untill you have had a chance to see how the altrernative goes. I'm not that mechanically inclined so I find outboards less intimidating and I have come to find an inboard to be pricey and more of a hassle. On my 24ftr the storage available for not having an inboard was really welcome. If you go with an outboard You should consider at least a 6HP though 8 would be better given your displacement.
Old 17-04-2011, 12:47   #13

Thanks so much for the feedback. Right now I am leaning more towards leaving the engine out (seeing as it's already been removed) and using that space for storage. I hope to perfect my sailing skills at getting in and out of my slip by sail alone. I'm a big fan of simplicity. I figure if they could get around by sailing without engines and autopilots hundreds of years ago, there's no reason I can't do the same today. If I do find an affordable outboard then I may just hang that off the stern as a backup. Thanks again.

Tags
engine