Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 05:30   #1

DIY autopilot fitting

I've been quoted £1500 to have a Raymarine
EV-200 Autopilot Linear Pack
Autopilot fitted. I've not bought the boat yet still weighing everything up before I make an offer (Oceanis 411 clipper)
As we all know work on boats is v expensive.
This leads me to the question of how difficult is it to fit the above system? My DIY skills are probably a little above average though I admit to not really knowing the boat very well yet. There are vids about of people fitting similar systems and it doesn't look like complete rocket science.
Is it more complicated than it seems?
Not just for the money saving I'm going to be living aboard and doing some longer cruising later on. I think it would be advantageous to know the systems inside out incase of future problems.
Thanks john
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: DIY autopilot fitting

Wow, that seems a lot. How many days labour do you think they are billing for that? say £300 a day so a weeks work to fit. Nice work if you can get it.

The tricky bit is going to be mounting the drive unit on a substantial bulkhead or frame and getting the alignment with the rudder quadrant. However, I would have a good go first, and if it was too much employ a shipwright to install just the drive. the rest you can do.

However, buy the boat first, because if it falls through and you buy another boat it might have a suitable autopilot already fitted.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:36   #3

Hi Pete
Thanks for your input. I've not bought anything yet. I'm just doing all the sums before I make an offer. Would like to think I could fit it myself. Boat work prices are an absolute rip off. Don't mind paying money for decent work but don't like people having my trousers down lol
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 13:21   #4

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

I installed my Simrad AP with a NKE hydraulic drive unit. As previously mentioned the hard part is mounting and positioning on the drive unit. The big issue is access and space; just like most boat projects! The rest is straight forward and merely requires patience and reading the manual IME.
I'd certainly try it first on my own.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot