Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 13:54   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 33
New Autopilot Control, old Autopilot motor

Has anyone hooked up a newer Raymarine or similar autopilot control head and computer to a circa early 1980's Benmar Cetec Rotary motor?

I have a perfect old rotary autopilot motor complete with mounting and bronze quadrant hardware direct to the rudder shaft aboard. The motor, after you pull out the circuit boards for the old pilot controls, has two wires for the motor and two wires for the clutch, same as what's coming off the new pilot ACU.

I am trying out this approach as there seems to be no autopilot motor of this type made currently. The Raymarine Rotary Type I is extremely light comparatively. It is designed to run to a cog on the steering wheel shaft and thus through the chain-wire rope steering blocks for extra purchase. This would not be possible on our boat.

Any thoughts on this venture?
Pablo Danic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 13:58   #2

Re: New Autopilot Control, old Autopilot motor

I hook up old motors all the time. I have not used the one you mention. if it's a 2 wire reversing power one it should work just fine. just make sure the output of the new pilot can handle the power of the old motor (in amps) different pilots can drive different size motors.

when you do the commission and auto learning it should figure out the power needed to control the old motor
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 17:16   #3

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I did it with a old neco motor and new Raymarine Control Head. I made do with 2 clutch and 2 power wires. But this wasn't so simple as my motor was a compound wired DC motor, with 2 giant contacts, that really arc up. Should have a wiring diagram around here, if you require it. But it sound like your motor is a permanent magnet type, much simpler, Has it got a commutator?.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 23:28   #4

Boat: Formosa CC 47, electric propulsion

I just hooked up a Cetec Benmar with a Furuno Navpilot 511 with a Raymarine rudder sensor. the Autopilot is connected to my laptop and gets GPS info from an USB GPS antenna connected to the laptop and gets its waypoints and nav info from it. The fluxgate connected to the autopilot gives a magnetic heading for Opencpn on the laptop.

I guess you finded out how to connect everything?
Capt. Arnaud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, motor, raymarine