Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2010, 19:45   #1

Dana 24 - Question on Decks

Does anyone know if PS used balsa coring in their decks?, if so what year did they start or stop using it? I'm totally anti balsa or foam core in my decks having had to scrap a boat due to rotted decks many years ago. Before i drop the coin on a boat I want to know it's balsa and foam free. I saw a late 2007 brochure online that mention balsa cored decks in the Dana 24 'with plywood everywhere it counts' Uh, would'nt that be the WHOLE deck on a small sea going boat
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 09:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yes, as with virtually all modern boats, the decks are cored.

Dana 24 Construction:
The hull and deck are hand laminated. The deck to hull connection is a double flange bedded in high tensile polyurethane adhesive compound, then fastened with stainless steel bolts.
The deck is balsa cored, with plywood core in hardware mounting areas.
The interior module is bonded into the hull with fiberglass mat and woven roving.
Chainplates are 1/4" thick, 1-1/2" wide and thru-fastened to the hull with stainless steel bolts and full backing plates.
All thru-hull fittings are are solid bronzewith U.L. approved marine sea-cocks.

See ➥ Catalogues - dana-24-brochure - pacific-seacraft

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 18:52   #3

Thanks Mr GordMay! I spoke with the owner of one recently and asked him (before I posted the question here); and he 'assured me' there was no balsa core in the deck only plywood!?! After not seeing an answer here I searched around and found this afternoon what you posted. The reason I asked the owner of the boat in question was because he had said he had a leak when he bought the boat secondhand, and it had rotted out the galleyware wooden holder...but he had it 'professionally rebuilt', and caulked the leak himself (he was quite proud of that!). I passed on that one too. I like the design but balsa coring scares the heebie jeebies out of me!! After reading Yacht Survey Online: David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor I have a hard time falling asleep if I've perused YWorld and seen a balsa cored deck! Worse than a horror movie before bed for me...
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote