Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2011, 19:41   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Crazy Toilet Problem / Gravesend Bay Pumpout

So last week I notice a noxious sulfurous odor upon flushing.

I pull up to the fuel dock and ask around only to learn that the marina I am at has no pump out!

My boat is at Marine Basin Marina in Gravesend Bay, north of Seagate. Of course I will ask neighbors where they go, but maybe someone has a nearby recommendation? We are right next to Excelsior Yacht Club (private AFAIK), so if I don't need an invite, It would be terrific to go there. I guess I need to go to Sheepshead Bay. I need to fix this on an empty tank (obviously).

Here;s the punch line though: A really wild symptom that I just noticed today. Bear in mind that I just bought this boat (1989 Catalina 30) last fall, and the marine surveyor - everyone - says it's a sweet boat. My nephew goes to use the toilet and when he flushes water sprays out of the base of the stanchion right by the head!

I am sure fixing this will be a nightmare.

Sweet boat. Headache after headache. I think the prior owner never sailed more than 1/4 mile from the previous marina.
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 19:50   #2

Re: Crazy toilet problem / Gravesend bay pumpout

see if the holding tank vent is inside the stanchion (follow the vent from the tank). If the tank is chock full it will overflow out the vent.
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 19:51   #3

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Crazy toilet problem / Gravesend bay pumpout

A vent inside the stanchion? Wow. That seems odd, but it's good news if I am overreacting. That is so fricking weird.
allanpeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 08:50   #4

Boat: Catalina C-42
Re: Crazy Toilet Problem / Gravesend Bay Pumpout

Pretty common on Catalina 30s to have the holding tank vent in the stanchion. Look for a small 1/8 - 3/16" hole near the base of the stanchion. Usually on the inboard side of the stanchion but I've seen them on the outboard side too. My C-42 has the starboard water tank vent installed the same way. The stanchion is specially made with a hose barb at the base.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote