Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 22:39   #16

Boat: Flying Fiffteen 6m
Re: cracks in keel serious?

Well this is one thing that I would take very seriously. About 50 people a year die worldwide from the keel falling off the boat that they are sailing. We just had one in Western Australia, the Skipper died. A female crew was also trapped inside due to her automatic life jacket doing it's job. But she got free. Another crew member didn't. I would drop the keel and inspect everything. Then re-fit as others have said, you will then at least have peace of mind. Many times this is a result of running aground. Better to be safe, than sorry.
signs65a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:08   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, i-Zap.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:15   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by signs65a View Post
Well this is one thing that I would take very seriously. About 50 people a year die worldwide from the keel falling off the boat that they are sailing. We just had one in Western Australia, the Skipper died. A female crew was also trapped inside due to her automatic life jacket doing it's job. But she got free. Another crew member didn't. I would drop the keel and inspect everything. Then re-fit as others have said, you will then at least have peace of mind. Many times this is a result of running aground. Better to be safe, than sorry.
The difference between salt and freshwater.

About 25% of the boats 25+ years old I see on the Great Lakes have (or have had) this type and degree of hull/keel join smile.

I have never heard of a keel falling off a fresh water boat of any age due to crevice corrosion.

I fix 3 or 4 of these smiles every year. Have never lowered the keel on any. For a salt water boat, I would use much greater caution.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 13:06   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by signs65a View Post
Welcome aboard Signs65A!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 13:43   #20

Boat: Hunter 33.5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Addendum.

After the keel / hull join is fixed. Grind all the rust off the keel to bright metal, and sand the rest very course (40 grit). Immediately apply 4 heavy coats of epoxy primer/barrier (I use Interlux Interprotect E2000) and when the final coat is still green (cured to point still tacky but doesn't transfer onto your glove) apply the anti-fouling. (It looks like your boat currently has Interlux VC17 on it. Good choice for the Great Lakes).

If it were my boat, having been in fresh water all its life, I would just retorque the keel bolt nuts, fix the smile, get rid of the rust (as above).

In general, your anti-fouling looks kinda crappy, so I would recommend stripping, primer coat if no signs of osmosis, barrier coat if their is, and fresh VC17.

If your not so worried about performance and appearance, just scuff sand, apply a fresh coat of VC17 and go.

If you don't want to do it, bring your boat up to Lake Ontario in the fall and give me call. (Sorry about the gratuitous solicitation folks, can't help myself.) ;-)
thanks for the advice. When the weather FINALLY breaks (snowing again today) I'll begin by checking the keel bolts, and will likely grind back the keel for a fresh coat of bottom paint while addressing the cracks. sounds messy, but gotta do what ya gotta do!
i-Zapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2023, 14:35   #21

I have a similar crack. Good to hear it’s likely just bolt torque. I will check and address at the next haulout.
skunther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel