Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2015, 10:26   #31

Re: Corded 12 VDC power tools?

I did carry a battery drill for those little odd jobs on the boat, going up the mast etc.. they are so very handy for sure. All else was 120Volt including a real drill. At home I use a battery drill most, but that is different than being in Timbuktu on your boat.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 10:31   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think my DeWalt hammer drill, which laughed and chewed through an 8" concrete wall then asked me if I had anything else to do, would put even the best battery powered drills to shame. And DeWalt is now "just" another division of Black & Decker, I suspect Bosch and Milwaukee are as good if not better.

But when you can't conveniently run AC, or don't want to take a chance getting shocked by AC (sure, run that 100' extension cord across a dew-covered lawn one morning, just you try it) they can be damn fine tools.

As with boats, the cheap one ain't gonna be the same as the high-priced one. But some of the professional/commercial ones, even if they need a spare battery and some patience, can do a damned fine job today.

Do you have one screwdriver in your box? One hammer? One wrench? OK, then maybe you can argue about having one drill. Whichever kind it is.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 11:41   #33

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

IHi all, I have been putting electric cords on (in) cordless tools (batteries died) for years now and they all still work great. I am in the market for a cordless sawzall to do the same...Never a problem with lack of "juice" to the tool.
Power em up and go!
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 12:00   #34

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

A number of posts seem to be prone to putting wires to an old cordless. I would deep six the tool and buy one cordless of modern battery technology. I believe they make kits with multiple tools that take the same battery so all the tools are contained in one case. That would probably provide all your needs without being a jury rig will afloat?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 12:52   #35

Boat: Island Packet 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Buy an invertor and get 120v tools cheaper, no battery fails and stronger tools.

So you are hauled out in Timbuktu, and need to cut a 2" hole with a hole saw thru 1" thick fiberglass.... howz that cordless gonna work out for you then after the battery pack has degraded sitting mostly for a year or two??

I do have an old corded 12v drill motor though is someone wants it!
Timbuktu is a long way from the ocean for a haulout! It's over 1500 kilometers from the ocean. Maybe you should haul out in Dakar...
luciarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 13:38   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciarose View Post
Timbuktu is a long way from the ocean for a haulout! It's over 1500 kilometers from the ocean. Maybe you should haul out in Dakar...
This is a "post tidal wave" scenario!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 18:24   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

I'm soo glad I didn't waste time trying to modify 12V stuff to run directly. Even if I did get them modified, 12V doesn't have the torque of 18V stuff...
certainly true on that. We bought all Milwaukee 28 Li powered stuff. Favorite tool is the 1/2" 2:! right angle drill with a winch bit. It can haul my mass up the 80 foot mast - no problem. Hauls in the 130 genoa and furls it easily. The other tools in this kit are a pleasure to use. Presumably, I could also run the directly from our 24 VDC house bank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muscle on deck.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	107904   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1298.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	107905  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote