Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2020, 18:54   #16

Re: Coppercoat versus Petit Trindad SR

Had Coppercoat in the Mediterranean, it needed cleaning every month. The downside was that coral worms seemed to love it, like appetizers for them and nearly impossible to clean off. Needed to sand and scrape them on the hard.
Sailed to Caribbean and went with an ablative paint and it was ok for a couple of years. Changed to Petit Trinidad and we are on our third year with only a scrub every 3 months, not a single barnical. Best paint I've used so far ....probably get another season out of it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:59   #17

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Had Coppercoat in the Mediterranean, it needed cleaning every month. The downside was that coral worms seemed to love it, like appetizers for them and nearly impossible to clean off. Needed to sand and scrape them on the hard.
Sailed to Caribbean and went with an ablative paint and it was ok for a couple of years. Changed to Petit Trinidad and we are on our third year with only a scrub every 3 months, not a single barnical. Best paint I've used so far ....probably get another season out of it.
I really loved our Pettit Trinidad. Unfortunately, I can't get it shipped over to Europe. So it looks like we'll go the Coppercoat.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 05:57   #18

Boat: 1988 Morgan classic 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
This is exactly the kind of information I’ve been looking for, thank you. Just a quick question, the three years that you’ve had the Petit Trinidad, was that all in the Caribbean? Which of the Petit Trinidad product lines did you go with?
Morgan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 06:46   #19

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Been a long time user of Trinidad and could get 4-5 yrs w/regular cleaning from our Dri-diver.
In the fall of '18, we put on the bottom paint (this time the "75" version special black) as usual (2 coats then a 3rd at the waterline) and within a year we had barnacles sticking. Typically we may see this in 2-3 yrs, but this was after only >1 year.
We did see that Pettit is slowly reducing the amount of copper in their products down to 60.9% cupric oxide = 54% copper (previously 75% in regular Trinidad depending on color), which IMO makes it less effective.
Also would do your homework on which had the highest free Cu since many people told us incorrect info. When you do purchase, check the cans carefully since there seemed to be a mixed bag of production lots on the shelves (different Cu amounts in the same product line).
We'll see how long this really lasts, but at this point may have to look for a different brand of hard paint.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 07:09   #20

Boat: Leopard 40

I love Trinidad pro. But I'm in the Med now and need to find another paint.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 07:21   #21

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
I love Trinidad pro. But I'm in the Med now and need to find another paint.Maje

Again be sure to look at the label for the CuO content for the "Pro" as they can be down to 50% CuO (from Pettit's MSDS). Both the Pro and the Trinidad 75 are labeled as "for professional applicators" or "a professional coating" so you make think they are better paints. The are a little cheaper/can, but again look at the specific labels for the CuO content.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote