Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2017, 10:23   #1

Boat: Hunter 456 -46
Coppercoat versus Petit Trindad SR

Last fall I had my 2005 Hunter Passage 456 soda blasted and am now in the process of final bottom preparation for finishing with barrier coat and hard ablative bottom paint. I was considering Blue Water Barrier coating and CopperPro SPC Hard Ablative and Coppercoat System with Barrier coating. The Coppercoat boast 10 years of antifouling property and I have friends that have had it for (4) years with great success so far. The cost is $1000.00 for traditional hard ablative and barrier versus $2000.00 for the Coppercoat. The money is not the issue as much as having to do bottom painting and the build up of paint. Appreciate any application successes either way.
Bill Creadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 11:10   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Coppercoat versus Petit Trindad SR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Creadon View Post
Last fall I had my 2005 Hunter Passage 456 soda blasted and am now in the process of final bottom preparation for finishing with barrier coat and hard ablative bottom paint. I was considering Blue Water Barrier coating and CopperPro SPC Hard Ablative and Coppercoat System with Barrier coating. The Coppercoat boast 10 years of antifouling property and I have friends that have had it for (4) years with great success so far. The cost is $1000.00 for traditional hard ablative and barrier versus $2000.00 for the Coppercoat. The money is not the issue as much as having to do bottom painting and the build up of paint. Appreciate any application successes either way.
Where will you be sailing the boat?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 11:39   #3

Boat: Hunter 456 -46

Sailing in the Chesapeake, Eastern Seaboard to Maine and to Florida and the Caribbean.
Bill Creadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 11:55   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Sailing in the Chesapeake, Eastern Seaboard to Maine and to Florida and the Caribbean.
I can't speak to Coppercoat. But Trinidad is great paint, particularly up north. It's not ablative paint, it's hard paint, and in my experience dramatically outperforms any ablative paint. It should be maintenance free the first season, maybe need one cleaning the second, and a couple during the third. The more you sail the boat, the better it will perform.

As an example, my boat spent the summer sitting in a slip in the Chesapeake after I put a fresh bottom on in the winter. Hauled the boat in January and it did not even need a pressure wash, at all.

Seems like people have mixed results with Coppercoat. I suspect success with it depends on what waters you sail in, how much you sail, and whether you have it wiped down periodically.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 08:52   #5

Boat: Scout 30

2nd vote for Trinidad. I've used Interlux 2000 as a primer but will go to Petit Protect epoxy primer this next time. I do 3 coats everywhere & a 4th at the waterline. I can get 5 -6 years but have to clean fairly regularly.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 09:38   #6

Boat: Tartan 3500 - 35 ft

Another vote for Trinidad. I've had this paint on my bottom for three years with my boat sitting in Charleston, SC harbor. It doesn't matter what paint you use, the bottom must be cleaned every 4-6 weeks depending on water temperature. Paint is still going strong, hoping for a forth year.
spoehlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 18:29   #7

Boat: Frers & Cibils, F&C 44 -ARIA II
Talking Re: Coppercoat versus Petit Trindad SR

Sailing Eastern Canada I have had Coppercoat since 2006. Required very minor touch-ups and burnish each spring to re-activate. I highly recommend the product!
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 02:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, spoehlein , & Dace.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 02:59   #9

Boat: Moody 376

Coppercoat has been working wonders for us for coming to 4 years here in Singapore... We have some of the worst fouling conditions on the planet... I clean every 2 weeks (as do owners or paid divers of every other boat, no matter what the antifoul!)
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 03:00   #10

I use Trinidad... in LIS Southern NE. I suggest it is OK, but MUST be scrubbed by a diver regularly... no barnacles but lots of slime and growth. I suppose the water temps are too warm or something.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 06:26   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
.................. The Coppercoat boast 10 years of antifouling property ..................
Yea, they can boast whatever they want to, it makes no difference. The effectiveness and life of your paint will depend on use and local conditions.

I use Petit Trinidad SR 77 in Charleston, SC. I got 5 years from the last painting but everyone in this area has to have the boat serviced by a diver every 3 weeks in summer and every 6-8 weeks in winter.

BTW: Most folks recommend using products from the same manufacturer so choose your barrier coat from the same manufacturer as your antifoulant.
Old 21-02-2020, 12:07   #12

Boat: Leopard 40

We have Trinidad SR and have loved it. But we're now in the Med, and the bottom needs to be repainted, and I can't get Trinidad over here, so I'm seriously considering Coppercoat.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 20:54   #13

Hey, seems I was pleased with it when I last posted.... I still am.

With twice monthly cleaning, our first coat lasted about 5 years... I have since re-applied and am still of the opinion that this is a good alternative to traditional anti-foul paints...

Something new to add... It has been often discussed that coppercoat doesn't necessarily perform better (or even as good as) traditional paints in preventing growth...I'm not here to debate that...What is often overlooked though is that it is a much more durable coating... so I can leave my hull for 2 months, then come clean off all the crap (not hard) and not damage the coating... That's not something that can be said for most antifoul paints..

Cheers,

James
Old 25-02-2020, 09:51   #14

Boat: Leopard 40

I just priced CopperCoat for my L40 cat, and in Europe it's about the same price as the Pettit Trinidad SR. So, I'll probably go with that.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 16:10   #15

Cool

Be sure the yard has experience with coppercoat... It isn't rocket science, but ReadTheF****ingManual is advised... They have videos on youtube.

I supervised the application the first time I did it... just to be sure.

Cheers,

James