Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 08:42   #16
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Cockpit enclosure

Whatever the price and materials, make sure when they measure up your boat that you're there and they measure design it based on where you stand and or sit while underway and docking too ensure you don't end up with a patch of canvas forever blocking your view.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 08:43   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I take it that this is a brand new venture. In that case you have to specify what the rails are to made of and the size. Depending on your beam you might need something more substantial than the 3/4 or 1 inch stainless. Also make sure you know where the stainless is being attached. And all the points for making sure that the enclosure (bimini, dodger) is nice and tight.

And, if your solar is not already done, it might be a good idea to keep that in mind re attachment points for the solar array, usually on the bimini.
Old 28-12-2017, 12:50   #18

This is a great thread. I agree, be it winter or summer having a dodger and bimini is a must and a full enclosure is amazing in cold wx.

I have a question about about value. Let's say you spend $5k on a full enclosure and you re-survey for insurance, what do you think the surveyor will give you for it?
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 13:04   #19

Another perspective, with the caveat that we sail almost entirely in warmer weather.

We have a full cockpit enclosure and almost never use it. In fact one of the the features we LOVE about our boat is that the dodger can instantly be dropped and put away. We put it up it for sun protection during the day, and most nights and cloudy days it is folded down so we can enjoy the sky and the breeze.

We do put up the enclosure if we are sailing downwind in the rain, but really that's it. It just gets way too "stuffy" in that little space even in cool weather if it is zipped up tight. I would VERY much encourage anybody considering a full enclosure to really think ahead about how you are going to ventilate it. It can be a very hot little greenhouse in there if the sun is out even in cooler air temperatures.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 13:27   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

I agree with billknny. We bought our boat in 2016 with dodger, bimini, and connector. When out sailing, we kept the dodger and bimini up, because, well, aren't you supposed to do that?

Early this summer we got ready to go out and I thought to give a try with the dodger down. Much better! Vision is better, the breeze can be enjoyed, and communication is easier.

I'm sure there are times a full enclosure is nice, but we prefer less.
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 13:55   #21

I know what you mean Dr.D and Billknny. I can see why you may not appreciate them in nice, warm weather. I was fine this year, even at anchor, on 100f days. It's the winter, or in SF Bay Area the summer that also feels like winter, while at the dock or in a breezy anchorage that makes you envy an enclosure.

Btw, if you want the benefits of a dodger without too much windage or visibility issues I recommend a low profile hard dodger. Designed right, just high enough for your shortest crew to see over and not too wide and boxy, it doesn't feel in the way at all and makes for excellent hand holds coming and going from deck or below.

Did either of you catch what value your full enclosures added to your surveyed?
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 13:17   #22

Boat: Farrier F9A

I'm looking at reinstalling a bimini & dodger removed by the previous owner b/c they didn't feel "racy" enough. They went to the extent of removing all the deck hardware for connecting them, so I'm wondering if screws are adequate or if the linkage to the ss frame should have thrubolts instead?
vonderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 16:17   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

jkindredpdx makes a good point: It is necessary for all zippers (which should be all plastic--no metal pulls), to have flaps over them. On our dodger, ours lap over the opening center panel by 2 ", with the velcro outboard.

Imho, it is necessary to tell them exactly what you want, then let at least 3 bid on it.

Stamoid is a pvc "cloth" that not many in Australia are content to work with, as it is unforgiving of mistakes. I made our hatch dodger out of it, and it has held up well, better than Sunbrella, which soon becomes permeable to the elements. We are using WeatherMax80 in place of Sunbrella in most applications, now, but I am not sure it is the best for a cockpit enclosure. I would go for marine hooding (easily available in Australia, which is where the OP is from), or for the Stamoid heavy weight. The lighter weight does not, imho last well enough.

The WeatherMax weighs half of what Sunbrella weighs, and Kenomac is probably correct in his estimation that it is also suitable for dodgers, and is not prone to mildew, too. However, I have no personal experience of it in that use, hence unqualified to comment.

We'll see what the OP decides.

Ann
Old 30-12-2017, 16:25   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cockpit enclosure

I just got through spending a bunch of money replacing my dodger, Bimini and adding a full enclosure to it all. I went with Sunbrella Plus which seems to be way more substantial than regular Sunbrella, and I can attest to it being honestly 100% waterproof.
Even in hot weather, or maybe I should say especially in hot weather the Bimini is up, the connector we put it in, in hot weather for the sun shade, being in shade besides the health benefits of not being sun burnt means to us, being a whole lot cooler.
Our enclosure is of course zippered in so that it can be removed and stored in bags, and we had curtains made to cover the plastic so that we had privacy to shower in the cockpit, the curtains also can be used without installing the “glass”.
My opinion is even though you spend a whole bunch of money replacing this stuff, it really doesn’t increase the value of the boat by much, your maintaining the Boat and maintaining its value, in my opinion.
Just like when you go to sell, it will In my opinion help it sell, but your not getting your money back, not by a long shot.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 17:03   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It is quite possible that having the polyurethane bonded on the underside of the Sunbrella Plus will keep it waterproof better than the plain Sunbrella. The acrylic is wonderful for UV resistance, something the WM80 relies upon a coating for, and since the SP has the acrylic yarns on top, the waterproofing should remain intact.

WM is only guaranteed for 5 years, which I notice is the Sunbrella Plus time period, too. WM has more physical chafe resistance than Sunbrella, which was our primary reason for shifting over to it from Sunbrella, that and the weight savings. I like the appearance of the acrylic colors, a little better, too, they're brighter, less "muddied."

I totally agree that shade is essential.

Ann
Old 30-12-2017, 19:47   #26

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Cockpit enclosure

I have the Sunbrella Plus and it’s been through 15 seasons and going strong. Highly recommend over the standard Sunbrella. The purpose of the enclosure is to keep you out of the wind, spray and rain - that keeps you warm and comfortable while cruising. If you are worried about getting your investment back in money, BOAT stuff is not that kind of investment.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, enc