Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2012, 16:07   #1

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL
Chain Twist

I know I am not the only one that suffers from the dreaded chain twist problem. My anchor chain has a hard job here on the reef as the Galv is gone in one year and I always end for end then and take all of the twist out but I would love to hear some ideas on this problem. It is not stoped by a swivel as have tried that I think it happens when it passes through the winch.
I didnt get a chance to take the twist out last year as I was too busy out there enjoying myself now I have a tangle in the chain locker that is not going to be fun to get out. Ever tried untwisting rusty chain UUUUUUG !!!!

Look forward to some comment Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 16:29   #2

Re: Chain Twist

There was a long heated debate on this a couple of years ago. Time for another! I think the only way is to let the anchor hang for a while once off the bottom and untwist some of the twist before you haul in. If the chain is jumping the wildcat you have too much twist or going too fast maybe. In theory your roller would have a groove that keeps the chain aligned to the wildcat, but the reality is it doesnt work that good. Gentlemen, start your engines! Here we go!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 16:35   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Swivels don't work and it's the three strand line that's causing the problem. When 3 strand is under stress it tries to untwist, causing the chain to twist. I went to a multi-plait line and problem solved. And that's all there is toit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ALrode.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	37950  
Old 24-02-2012, 16:39   #4

Depends on how much chain you have to untwist and the size of the chain. Getting it over the bow roller when it's a twisted mess may be easier said then done. But assuming you can... and you want it to hang and untwist... you could have a hell of a lot of weight to lift straight up. And this is very different from using your windlass to pull your boat up over the anchor and then lifting 15-20 feet of vertical chain and anchor. 200 feet of 5/16" chain weighs 300#... To lift that you need a windlass for sure.

Best way is bow in at a dock... lower chain onto dock... pull it out and straighten it up and then feed it back into the anchor locker.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 18:14   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

why aren't we talking swivels and their attachment?
Old 24-02-2012, 18:17   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
We have a full chain rode with the anchor roller that is supposed to prevent twist. Maxwell VWC windlass and chain stopper.

1 - removed swivel, chain twisted within anchoring 5 times.
2 - put swivel back, no more twist for countless times anchoring (years).

This tells me that in our case the swivel works. Unfortunately it doesn't tell me how it gets twisted, as the chain never jumps on the windlass gypsy.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 18:45   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Delmarry must be right !! Ive never had a problem when I had all chain rode, but everytime I used stranded line and chain I had chain twist ! Now I know why ! never used a plaited line as rode ! I will try to stay with all chain if possible on our new boat, but will certainly try piaited line if I must use chain - line rode ! Thanks for a good Idea. see even us old guys can learn on here !! LOL Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 18:52   #8

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Chain Twist.... Thought it was a new dance. I have heard of it but have never experienced it. I use all chain rode and a double jointed swivel.
Old 24-02-2012, 18:57   #9

Boat: Koch Muiden, 37 foot ketch

I installed a SS anchor swivel to prevent chain twisting - but I posted a couple of months ago about a critical failure of that swivel.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ure-71238.html

What I would now like to know - is there a shackle (galvanised steel this time) that I can connect my anchor to 3/8 chain that does not have a big tightening lug sticking out one side. I do miss the smoothness of the SS swivel as my stemhead and roller is quite narrow - the swivel fitted fine (but failed!) but the replacement galvanised 10mm bow shackle now always catches. Big ships have hammered over shackles with no protrusions, but I cannot seem to find a yacht equivalent. It may not help with potential chain twisting, but may help me get the anchor back on board.

My chain untwisting solution was to put a SS anchor swivel (I had THREE!!!) on the bitter end of the chain in the chain locker so that I could untwist the remaining twisted couple of metres of anchor chain in the locker without getting into an untimely mess. And the swivel remained out of the water and was less subject to crevice corrosion and failure.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 19:20   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

When we were noobs, we had twist in all chain.
We dropped 300 feet of chain and a 35 CQR in 400 feet off Stuart Island in the San Juans. The depth was almost 1000 feet.
Big mistake.
The electric windlass kicked the 100 amp breaker every foot.
Concerned boaters asked if we were OK, we said, "Yes thanks, we're learning our systems".
An hour later, we were underway.
Lesson learned, that's a bunch of weight for an anchor windlass to lift from the briney, but no more twist!

(previous boat)

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 19:37   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

McMaster-Carr

here are a few swivels - SS and galvanized. Lots of sizes.

marinepartdepot.com Index more SS stuff - lots of swivels. Also find chain hooks for your bridles.

I always worry about mixing SS and galvanized. SS swivel on SS chain & anchor etc.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 22:11   #12

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Thanks for all the suggestions I have all chain 100mtrs 10mm (3/8) and mainly use around 40mtrs ( 3.3ft = 1mtr) but sometimes out on the reef I will be in 15/20mtrs so am using alot of chain. But at the moment I have approx 40mtrs in a knot in the chain locker and I have had to unwind this before it is a rotten job. I might try the swivel on the locker end and see how it goes.
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 02:05   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
What you see here is the shank of an 80kg Bruce, 3/4" bow shackle, 3/4" swivel, 3/8" G70 chain with enlarged end link. I used o have a 5/8" shackle and swivel but that shackle got lose to failure during a hurricane. I could not see any damage to the swivel then, but upgraded both to 3/4" anyway.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 02:38   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
What you see here is the shank of an 80kg Bruce, 3/4" bow shackle, 3/4" swivel, 3/8" G70 chain with enlarged end link. I used o have a 5/8" shackle and swivel but that shackle got lose to failure during a hurricane. I could not see any damage to the swivel then, but upgraded both to 3/4" anyway.

cheers,
Nick.
Good strong gear Nick.
My only comment would be that the male part of that swivel appears to be the type with the welded on nut. I have seen the weld crack away, and the nut back off, so on mine I drill thru the nut and rivet it with a galvanised nail. Particularly on the 1 1/4" swivels on my mooring chain, which I admit are subjected to different conditions.
Old 25-02-2012, 10:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Swivels don't work and it's the three strand line that's causing the problem. When 3 strand is under stress it tries to untwist, causing the chain to twist. I went to a multi-plait line and problem solved. And that's all there is toit.
I've had this problem many times with all chain rode. Not as severe as apparantly some people's problems though. If I'm leaving an anchorage in calm wind, I just lift it off the bottom and sit for 5 minutes before fully retrieving it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote