Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 21:32   #1

Blank of skin fitting

Sorry I mean "Off" not "of" in the title^!

Hi there, Our aft head has had the toilet removed and the room made into an office. This was done before we bought the boat and we are leavng it like that for the time being. The two skin fittings and valves are still there and the valves are just turned off. I have removed the handles for safety but I am worried some load will break them off, flooding the boat.

I'm wodering what is the best way to seal/blank them off, without removing the skin fittings which are glassed in. I have not seen bronze caps to do this. One solution I thought of was to wax the thread and wrap the end with epoxy and cloth to make a molded on cap that I could screw off later.

Does anyone have a soltuion for this? It must be a reasonably common problem.
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 21:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Blank of skin fitting

On my boat someone made a plug out of plastic, epoxied it in from the outside and blended it flush. I've never really thought about the safety of this but I always tap on it during haulout and it is solid as a rock.

I know if I ever want to use the hole again I have to replace the thruhhull but so be it...

In your case I would be tempted to just make sure no one hits on the valves and leave it alone.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 22:40   #3

Hmm maybe you're right.

Maybe I should just make a plywood platform / shelf to cover them. I can still inspect the valves on haul-out per usual.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, I do tend to do that.
Old 04-08-2014, 22:42   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
On my boat someone made a plug out of plastic, epoxied it in from the outside and blended it flush. I've never really thought about the safety of this but I always tap on it during haulout and it is solid as a rock.

I know if I ever want to use the hole again I have to replace the thruhhull but so be it...

In your case I would be tempted to just make sure no one hits on the valves and leave it alone.
Until the next haulout. Put a red box over it.

I've filled a couple thru holes with a FG plug and epoxy, then glassed over them on both sides. Stronger then the thruhull itself!

Round and oblong holes are what is put in structural beams to make them lighter. By filling the hole, one only makes it stronger. Which also reduces the chance of cracking.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:28   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

You can google up the proper method which involves some grinding and laminating and ensures a strong and flat plug.

Alas, on our boat I simply plugged the old ones with foam and epoxy, then laminated some fine weight glass rowing over the plug on the outside of the hull.

It is visible, but otherwise I think nearly as strong as the surrounding area.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:59   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Sorry - Just to be clear the plug on my boat was fit "inside" the thru hull and the thru hull is still there.

As described above the proper method is to remove the thru hull and do a proper hull repair.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 16:08   #7

Thanks guys I want to keep them there in case we refit the head, resale potential I guess too, so I will make a cover. My wife is keen on continuing to use it as an office and it does keep a lot of mess hidden that you can close a door on. If it was totally up to me, I would extend the aft cabin berth into the space and make a real nice berth!

I appreciate the responses! Cheers Stephen