Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2011, 13:34   #1

Boat: Mirage 32
Standard Horizon CP300 I Screen Went Blank

My screen on my CP-300 chart plotter went black. The unit is powering up and I can hear it beeping as I go through the functions, but the screen is blank, ie black. Anyone have any ideas?
Gerry Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 14:46   #2

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
Re: Standard Horizon CP300 I Screen Went Blank

Does turning it on and off a few times help? Using the red button instead of power on/off also seems to make some difference. I have occasionally been having a similar problem with a CP180 (out of warranty, of course ). In any case SH seems to have very fast and responsive technical support at Welcome to StandardHorizon.com
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 09:38   #3

Same thing happened to mine. On several occasions especially when zooming in and out. I talked to tech support and he didn't have any answers. On my installation the power connections hit a couple terminal strips. I went through all the power connections and tightened them. That seems to have cured my problem. I believe a poor connection created a high resistance open, when zooming, the processor in the unit draws more current, causing an excessive voltage drop across the poor connection and causing things to shut down. Then it would reboot automatically all by itself.
On this same issue of connections on my boat I add a dab of dielectric anti corrosive grease to the matting surfaces of the spade and lug terminals. When tightened the grease forms a hermetic seal around the points of contact and will maintain a corrosion free connection. This is especially important using non tinned wire or connectors. If using non tinned wire, before you crimp, dip the end of the bare wire into the grease. This method will maintain the integrity of your boat wiring.
saben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 11:27   #4

Boat: Mirage 32

Thanks, that's very interesting and I'll have to try and beef up the electrical connections. The location of the plotter connection is easily bumped. Just started out of the blue. The plotter came with a new to us boat we bought last fall, though our previous boat had a CP180. (no problems) I 'm also attempting to get a diagnosis from SH at their help website.
Thanks all.

Gerry
Gerry Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote