Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 05:11   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Barrier coat now or later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
OP here. Yes, thank you. I didn't mean to put "fiberglass" - I meant gelcoat. We will just sand down to the gelcoat. I'd edit the post if I could.

We got started scraping on Saturday and managed to complete 20% in 3 hours. It was definitely work, but not quite as bad as I anticipated. At that completion rate, we'll be ready to start sanding after another 12 hours.

Sure glad it's a 29.9, and not something larger!

Thanks.
You got that right brother!

Hopefully things are coming along swimmingly...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:44   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33, 33'6"
Send a message via Skype™ to Aloha_float

I just blasted my bottom on a 31 year old boat that looked decent with the exception that the anti-foul looked horrible. It was fresh water sailed and had no barrier coat. One I had the bottom blasted, some small blisters started showing up as the hull dried in the sun. It was very minor and easily repairable. I would definitely have the hull done if t hasn't been done in a very long time as you never know what you will uncover. I would also take the recommendation above regarding the use of interprotect 2000e. This is excellent stuff - but also consider west epoxy for any fairing work. A good dry hull is always better than the alternative and sometimes peace of mind is worth it when you are out sailing and have less to worry about. It's worth the investment!
Aloha_float is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:41   #48

Boat: Lagoon 440

I bought Interprotect 2000e for my project from Jamestown Distributors and they had a very informative video that talks about the importance of a moisture barrier on fiberglass. Yes it is a lot of work to apply and not cheap, but if there are no blisters its much easier to prevent than it is to repair.
bwells79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 04:47   #49

Boat: Bristol 29.9

OP here with a quick update.

We finished scraping on Saturday. Overall it wasn't too bad, but Mr. cthoops and I agreed that we wouldn't want to do it again. It was definitely grunt work.

It took us a bit less than 24 hours in total, including setting up and breaking down each time. We also got lucky in that we unknowingly picked the more difficult side to start with. For some reason the paint on the port side came off more much easily than the starboard. It's a good thing, or we'd still be working on it.

Next up: sanding.

Thanks again for all of the advice.
Old 16-12-2015, 05:01   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A well deserved rest is in order!!!

Congrats, and let us know how the next step goes!
(+breathing protection reminder)

Old 16-12-2015, 05:51   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
A well deserved rest is in order!!!

Congrats, and let us know how the next step goes!
(+breathing protection reminder)
Thanks! Will do.

We've definitely been wearing the respirator masks (and gloves and Tyvek suits) and will keep doing it. I can't imagine wearing all of that in the summer - or Panama.
Old 16-12-2015, 15:16   #52

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
OP here with a quick update.

We finished scraping on Saturday. Overall it wasn't too bad, but Mr. cthoops and I agreed that we wouldn't want to do it again. It was definitely grunt work.

It took us a bit less than 24 hours in total, including setting up and breaking down each time. We also got lucky in that we unknowingly picked the more difficult side to start with. For some reason the paint on the port side came off more much easily than the starboard. It's a good thing, or we'd still be working on it.

Next up: sanding.

Thanks again for all of the advice.
Sanding is brutal but to me it was better than scraping, at least you could see progress.
Best of luck and keep us posted.
I assume you are taking advantage of the weather, since winter was cancelled in the NE, at least for now...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 07:20   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Sanding is brutal but to me it was better than scraping, at least you could see progress.
Best of luck and keep us posted.
I assume you are taking advantage of the weather, since winter was cancelled in the NE, at least for now...
The weather has made a huge difference. We wanted to get a lot done this off-season so we've been really lucky. I can't stand winter, so if it stays cancelled that would work for me.
Old 24-12-2015, 04:55   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The weather has made a huge difference. We wanted to get a lot done this off-season so we've been really lucky. I can't stand winter, so if it stays cancelled that would work for me.
I've put in a word with the powers to be with your and my request about a particular seasonal weather cancellation...

Pending...

Old 23-02-2016, 04:46   #55

OP here with one final update. It was a happy drive home from the marina on Saturday because we had finished sanding!

For anyone who is thinking about DIY'ing this task, it ended up taking us (56 year old husband and 46 year old wife) 24 hours to scrape and 16 hours to sand. Our boat is 29.9 feet with a 10.2 foot beam.

The sanding was definitely easier than the scraping, but overall it wasn't the worst job ever. Just grunt work. Given that we have more time than money, it was definitely worth it.

Painting is next, but that's no big deal - it's just painting. As soon as the temps warm up we'll put on the multiple coats of barrier paint, along with the bottom paint, and we can cross this task off of the list.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.