Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2019, 19:26   #31

Re: Anyone have knowledge or experience with BMW D50 to share?

Thank you. I think we will do exactly what you have done. I suppose
that the acid did not negatively affect the impeller, or and o rings or seals or you would not have repeated the process.
I will let you know how we go.
matan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 15:36   #32

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Re: Anyone have knowledge or experience with BMW D50 to share?

I was experiencing a lot of V-belt wear. First thing I did was I noticed that my Crankshaft pulley and Alternator were sized to take a larger Belt the Water pump pulley was sized smaller. The Pulley on the Water pump was assembled by 2 pieces of thickish sheet metal supped in such a way to take the V-Belt. I ordered a alloy replacement pulley, filled it with resin and machined it to the same centreline as the original. Tricky but can be done. Borrowing equipment is a problem up the coast.
Several Months later, I still had lots of dust being created, the alignment to the Crankshaft pulley was always good, however when I put a straight edge across Alt pulley it was out in relation to the belts between Water pump and Crank.

There appears to be no replacement alternator.

I managed to solve this problem by first getting a 8mm burr tool and making the mounting hole in the Aluminium boss of the Alt frame, true again, then I redrilled the mounting boss hole, in better alignment and sized to receive a piece of tubing, think the tube I used, got from a Hydraulic supply place.

Think 2nd idea worked the better, now enjoying happy V-belt wear days.

Tags
enc