Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2020, 16:30   #1

Boat: 33 Dufour GibSea
Materials for Sailboat Cockpit Cushions.

Hello all::

I have a 33 foot sailboat. I am having made cushions for the cockpit. One cushion will be on the port side. The other will be on the starboard side. They will end up being about 5 1/2 feet long or so.

What type of foam material should I be using for those cushions? Also, what type of Sunbrella or other material should be used to cover the foam?

I wouldn’t plan to leave the cushions out all the time. I would just put them out when the boat was being used and then stow them when the boat is not being used. They will probably be held on with Velcro or something similar.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael
Goofeyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 17:17   #2

Boat: Hanse 430e
Re: Materials for Sailboat Cockpit Cushions.

Mesh bottoms.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 21:26   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Can’t remember what foam was used but they are covered in Hydranet. Tough as nails and don’t hold water.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2020, 22:41   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Try to find some softer closed cell foam, it is available. Much of it is too firm to be comfortable. Open cell foam has to be chucked below if there is rain or spray. Sunbrella works fine, and with closed cell foam, you can leave them out as long as they won't blow away. With open cell foam, they will eventually get wet.

My closed cell foam had terrycloth covers at first, nice and soft for sitting on, but the Sunbrella looks better, longer. Beware of white, it is prone to mildew. But if you're going to the tropics, then have the bottoms be white and put up with the appearance, you can turn them white side up and still walk on them barefoot without burning your feet in hot sunny places. (Your feet can actually blister from really hot dark Sunbrella!)

Some friends of ours have used bolt rope track and a sewn bolt rope panel on the cushions, so they are stable when the boat is heeled. Sticky back velcro doesn't last very long. Another thing you can do is glue a low cleat along the inboard edge of the cockpit seat, just enough to hold the cushion in place. It's tricky to have is low enough to still be comfy to sit, but high enough to retain the cushion.

Ann
Old 23-07-2020, 08:41   #5

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Can’t remember what foam was used but they are covered in Hydranet. Tough as nails and don’t hold water.
Fast dry foam and a mesh bottom works well. Water goes right through and the foam doesn't get musty. 2 inch thickness is comfortable enough to give you good footing.
Lazy Jack 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 08:49   #6

Boat: Leopard 40

I second Sunbrella and comfortable foam. But a lot will depend on whether the cushions are under a binimi.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 09:09   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

Mesh..........philferex with closed cell foam. Check out sailboatiwners.com for low price and fast delivery.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 09:11   #8

Boat: Catalina 34ll 2001

I mostly sail with 2. My cockpit cushions are stored in my basement. I use a pair of Sportaseats. More comfortable and easier to store. FWIW the knock offs don't seem to last long.

https://www.sportaseat.com/
cat34shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 09:37   #9

Boat: 1981 Stiletto 27

I had cushions made by affordableboatcushions.com for my Stiletto. Padded vinyl tops and mesh bottoms, held in place by stainless steel snaps. They have held up well with spray, rain, wind and sun. I store them when not in use. Excellent service, and good website for specifics on materials.
Cllewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 10:02   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Foam: “Dry Fast”

bottom: Phifertex mesh

top: Sunbrella

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 10:09   #11

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Vinyl coated foam.

C Cushions - Custom cockpit cushions for boats
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2020, 16:08   #12

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

Do not use any foam that is used in furniture. It holds a lot of water. even if it has a vinyal cover.
The dry fast foam is very good.
Closed cell foam is not as comfortable but in an emergency it can be thrown over board and it floats.
Sunbrell covers are great. A washable. removable is also nice.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 22:07   #13

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofeyfoot View Post
Hello all::

I have a 33 foot sailboat. I am having made cushions for the cockpit. One cushion will be on the port side. The other will be on the starboard side. They will end up being about 5 1/2 feet long or so.

What type of foam material should I be using for those cushions? Also, what type of Sunbrella or other material should be used to cover the foam?

I wouldn’t plan to leave the cushions out all the time. I would just put them out when the boat was being used and then stow them when the boat is not being used. They will probably be held on with Velcro or something similar.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Michael
Closed cell foam sandwich - high-density on the bottom for support, with lower density on the top for comfort.

As to the covering, Sunbrella (or any canvas) will become grubby. There is a fabric available that looks like canvas, but is wipe-clean vinyl (and does not feel like vinyl - no sticking, no burning).
We have it as factory standard on our 2012 Beneteau Oceanis. I don't know if they are still using it, but when we were looking at getting extra work done on board, the upholstery and canvas expert commented that the fabric they had used was exceptional in durability, so we were pleased to hear that.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cockpit, cushions, sail, sailboat