Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 22:20   #1

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Anyone have knowledge or experience with BMW D50 to share?

Hi

I understood the limitations of buying my boat with a Older Engine that would be difficult to buy parts for.

I'm mightily impressed with my Custom Perry 42' Steel Passport, in regard to the engine I've done nothing more than fit anodes to the SW side of Oil Cooler and Jacket water heat exchange and had the hour meter repaired. As far as I could tell it never previously had provision for anodes, hence I think why not to many of these engines survive.

If you have one what have you done to keep it going, where do you get parts or if you re-engined, what did you replace it with.

Thanks
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:57   #2

Boat: Victoire 1044
Re: Anyone have knowledge or experience with BMW D50 to share?

Hi I had the smaller model of BMW engine the D35 twin cylinder and was very impressed by it.I could not find an engine anode fitted to this engine and thought it strange. The D35 was originally an engine made by another company(Hagg?) and was then marinised by BMW,as yours is the three cylinder model it might have came from the same manufacturer. MY installation was protected by shaft anodes with the engine being connected by a wiper set up on the shaft. The engine was from 1987 and showing over 4000 hrs. It is still going strong with new owner and in seven years with me all it got was water/oil/tappets adjusted. I think it was an overbuilt but simple engine that should go on indefinitely
Bluevelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I used to have the little d12 made by hatz diesel out of Germany. In north america parts came from V12 engineering Home - V12 Engineering
I will look in my old manuals and find your pencil anode location and post it here when I'm. Back in the shop.
Old 04-11-2016, 15:45   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

OUr previous boat had a D-35, which is indeed just a two cylinder version of your D-50. Ours was raw water cooled, and that was the only issue we had with it: that is,salting up of the cooling passages. Ran reliably, had >6000 hours on it when we sold the boat.

At that time (2004) we were able to get parts in Oz from Hatz diesel. Dunno if that is still true... I'd suggest calling them!

Jim
Old 21-11-2016, 17:36   #5

Hey Newhaul
Am interested in knowing more about the location of Anodes, if they exist they must be accessed under neathor disguised, I can barely get a inspection mirror down the side so would appreciate succinct location assistance, could you please check your "manuals" can't find it in mine.

Thanks
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 18:17   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
Hey Newhaul
Am interested in knowing more about the location of Anodes, if they exist they must be accessed under neathor disguised, I can barely get a inspection mirror down the side so would appreciate succinct location assistance, could you please check your "manuals" can't find it in mine.

Thanks
OK here goes let's see if I can describe it . On the block rear port side just behind and below the exhaust manifold there will be what looks like a bolt and should have a blue dot on it. That's one of the zinc pencil anodes. The other is in the head on the same corner just above the bell housing bolt next to the freeze plug also should be marked with a blue dot . This is for the D50 I'm not sure if they are there in the D50-2 ( fwc model)
( if this helps great if not let me know. Rob SV Meer Schaum
Old 25-01-2019, 07:11   #7

I have a D 50 fittedin my yacht and it works cery well. I have recentlygotten the oil light coming on at start up. I have plnty oil . I have not been brave to run the motor with the light on. How do i find out what is wrong? Low oil pressure or a bad sender. Help!
matan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 13:09   #8

I would think that the standard answer, is first make sure your oil has not been diluted with diesel, then the transducer needs to be checked. You do that by replace the oil sender with a T piece and also insert a Small pressure gauge and your oil sender, your looking for 2 bar or 28 psi, but even half that would be fine upper limit is 5 bar.
Assuming that the oil pressure low is genuine, think your clearances have opened up a little or your oil pump has lost efficiency. Would think just going to a more viscous oil like 30 or 40 grade, you can talk to your oil supplier about that.
As it happens I have replaced my SW flow thru oil cooler with closed circuit FW am monitoring the oil temperatutre at the LO Filter, can only get 1700 RPM at 90 Deg C. But will be upping my oil viscosity next oil change.

(Did cooling water change cose frightened of LO cooler failure, not likely to happen with closed circuit FW.)
Old 25-01-2019, 13:32   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matan View Post
I have a D 50 fittedin my yacht and it works cery well. I have recentlygotten the oil light coming on at start up. I have plnty oil . I have not been brave to run the motor with the light on. How do i find out what is wrong? Low oil pressure or a bad sender. Help!
does the light stay on after about 10 seconds of running ? When was the last oil change ? When was the last filter change? What viscosity of oil are you running?
Old 25-01-2019, 14:01   #10

Thanksfor the response. I amsupposed to sail today. Its Australia Day and i havea boat loadof friends and family wanting to sail.
The oil is 30 weight as specified. The engine has 350 genuine hours. It was bought about 30 years ago and kept in a shed until ibought it as part of an incomplete yacht.oil changes have been done regularly so it is unlikely that the oil pump has changed tolerances. I cant get a sender unit this morningbecause of public holiday.
Old 25-01-2019, 14:05   #11

The bmw d50 was manufactured by Hatz diesel germany. Some years ago i spoke to their distributor in sydney and bought the pencig annodes that you need for the head and block. I presume other parts are available too.
Old 25-01-2019, 14:15   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matan View Post
Thanksfor the response. I amsupposed to sail today. Its Australia Day and i havea boat loadof friends and family wanting to sail.
The oil is 30 weight as specified. The engine has 350 genuine hours. It was bought about 30 years ago and kept in a shed until ibought it as part of an incomplete yacht.oil changes have been done regularly so it is unlikely that the oil pump has changed tolerances. I cant get a sender unit this morningbecause of public holiday.
ok pull the sender and check that it is not plugged with carbon deposits which will not allow it to function
Old 25-01-2019, 14:18   #13

If your oil light goes out soon after. Then I wouldn't worry. Enjoy your day. Pencil anodes??? does your Engine not have closed loop? I have never seen installed Anodes. Perhaps when you have time. Would like to understand discrepancy and your Sydney agent contact. Thanks.
Old 25-01-2019, 14:21   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
If your oil light goes out soon after. Then I wouldn't worry. Enjoy your day. Pencil anodes??? does your Engine not have closed loop? I have never seen installed Anodes. Perhaps when you have time. Would like to understand discrepancy and your Sydney agent contact. Thanks.
bmw d50 raw water engine
Old 25-01-2019, 14:55   #15

Yes bmw D50 raw water. The anodes are screwed into the head and the block. The sydney contact should be Hatz Australia. The water problem seemed to be that air was in the engine and not allowing the water through. Or just possibly air getting into the water pump housing. After i checked the condition of the impeller and resealed the housing I topped up the water in the motor by pouring water into a hose on the top front. When this was full i started the motor. The raw water system seemed to work as normal , but the oil light and alarm do not shut off when the engine startsand runs. My first job this morning will be to check the sender. During the time we ran the engine without cooling water it did not get excessively hot. But hot enough to set offthe water alarm and light. The hotter than usual oil might have affected the oil sender.

Tags
enc