Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 07:43   #46

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Anyone Gone All Propane - Outboard , Generator ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I am interested. Not having to lug around a can of gasoline for my outboard would be great. In my small sailboat I have no place to put it, and spend more than the cost of the outboard to fix the problems from ethanol.

The little propane cans are cheap, readily available in the US, and don't smell or spill fuel everywhere.
The first time I used my bbq, when I removed the green bottle I could hear hissing. I tried to reseat it by putting it back on the bbq, no luck. I got it off the boat. An hour or so later the smell and fuel spill were gone.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 08:01   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Manitu, you can convert gasoline engines to propane but you will lose power. Propane has fewer BTU per gallon than gasoline and a higher octane rating. The Lehr outboards were designed from the ground up to run on propane. They have a higher compression ratio than gasoline engines to take advantage of the higher octane rating. A 5HP Lehr puts out 5HP. A gasoline 5HP engine run on propane will put out less.
Old 30-10-2012, 08:08   #48

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

What is the weight of the 5hp propane engine compared to a 8 or 9,9 hp, say, Yamaha? (edit: about the same, I see, couple posts above) My main point for world cruisers is that the you can run both fuels , you can even get a kit who enables you to run gas , propane or LPG even.
You can buy ready made tri-fuel generators too.

Ofcourse, propane is in many ways the better fuel , but the logistics around it is not the best. I would prefer a engine wich I actually can get fuel for.

I see your point about octane.. what octane is american gas nowadays?
Here , I can get gas at 95 or 98 octane.. But the BEST fuel for my outboard is without doubt 100LL wich you can get at any airstrip around the world. NO ethanol *****! Dont use it if your 4stroke has a catalyst converter though..

.manitu
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 08:32   #49

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
What is the weight of the 5hp propane engine compared to a 8 or 9,9 hp, say, Yamaha? (edit: about the same, I see, couple posts above) My main point for world cruisers is that the you can run both fuels , you can even get a kit who enables you to run gas , propane or LPG even.
You can buy ready made tri-fuel generators too.

Ofcourse, propane is in many ways the better fuel , but the logistics around it is not the best. I would prefer a engine wich I actually can get fuel for.

I see your point about octane.. what octane is american gas nowadays?
Here , I can get gas at 95 or 98 octane.. But the BEST fuel for my outboard is without doubt 100LL wich you can get at any airstrip around the world. NO ethanol *****! Dont use it if your 4stroke has a catalyst converter though..

.manitu
If you're saying put a tri fuel carb on a Lehr engine, then the octane rating of the gas is important since Hopcar says it is a higher compression engine.

Higher octane gas does nothing for engines that don't require it.
Fact or Fiction?: Premium Gasoline Delivers Premium Benefits to Your Car: Scientific American
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 08:38   #50

I know, I know.. my 70's american made 2stroke would probably not run at all on the stuff you call gas today.. but what is it? like 89-90 octane??

edit: found the answer regular = 87 octane Would not give that to my lawnmover even..
edit2: My outboard is made for 95 octane
.manitu
Old 30-10-2012, 08:44   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A 5hp propane engine weighs about the same as a 5HP gasoline engine. It will be lighter than a 9.9 HP gasoline engine. The idea of a multi fuel engine is appealing but you lose power when you run a gasoline engine on propane. I have one of those tri-fuel generators. It is rated at 6KW on gasoline, 5.5 KW on Propane and I think 5KW on Natural Gas. I will never put gasoline in it as I need it to start in an emergency after sitting unused for long periods of time.

As to running 100LL in your outboard, the higher octane does nothing for you if your engine was designed to run on regular 87 octane. The lack of ethanol might be a good thing. Strangly enough 100LL (low lead) has more lead in it than the stuff you put in your car.

You can convert a gasoline engine to propane but not a propane engine to gasoline. Gasoline doesn't have enough octane to prevent detonation (knock) in the higher compression propane engine.
Old 30-10-2012, 09:18   #52

Gas= 87-112 octane. Typically 90-95
Propane=110 octane
LPG=95-120 octane. Typically 105-110.

So the only real obstacle for a efficient tri-fuel motor is the crappy gas wich many countries have...

adjustable compression, anyone?

.manitu
Old 31-10-2012, 04:48   #53

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

HopCar,

Sent you a PM inquiring about pricing on the Lehr outboards.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:28   #54

Boat: Tollycraft, Tri-Cabin, 34ft

All,
I have converted all my auxilliary equipment on my boat to Propane.

I have the 5hp LEHR outboard
I converted my Honda EU200i to Propane
I have a gas grill.

I use the small 1lb cylinders on my outboard and grill, but I also refil them as needed with an adapter. If Im taking a long Dingy ride I will bring my Fiberglass 20lb tank.
I Just finished a 2 week vacation and was on the hook for 7 days and only burned through 1 20lb tank for the the genny and a portion of another for cooking and refilling my cylinders. My Lehr Outboard only burned through 2 green 1lb cylinders.

This is the first trip that I have taken with no gas cans.
shelbycobra5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:04   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

shelbycobra5, Very nice. Where did you find a kit for converting the Honda genny?
I've already got my Lehr and would like to convert my Honda 2000i as well.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:34   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
shelbycobra5, Very nice. Where did you find a kit for converting the Honda genny?
I've already got my Lehr and would like to convert my Honda 2000i as well.

I bought my kit from generatorsales.com The kit requires drilling of the carburetor. I sent mine off to them and they did it for me. I do not see on their site the ability to order a kit anymore. The best thing would be to call them at 207-941-1188.

I did convert a home generator to propane and the kit I ordered was from Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas. This site is more DIY.

FYI the refil adapter for refilling the small 1lb canisters is "
Mr. Heater F276172 Propane One Pound Tank Refill Adapter"

Old 06-07-2013, 11:57   #57

HopCar,
I bought the conversion kit from http://www.generatorsales.com
They did have kits available on their website but I can't find the link anymore. You can call them @ 207-941-1188 and they will have the info if they still make them available. For their conversion kit you will need to send off your carburetor to have a hole drilled in it to accept the propane. The turnaround was a few weeks if I remember correctly.
Another site that you can use for the conversion is http://www.propane-generators.com this is a more DIY approach. I used one of their kits for a larger generator that I have at home.

To refill the small propane cylinders I use this adapter
"Mr. Heater F276172 Propane One Pound Tank Refill Adapter" I found it on Amazon but hardware stores and Harbor freight have the also.
Old 15-08-2013, 15:28   #58

Boat: Trojan Sedan Bridge 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Minaret, Our customers had problems with bad assembly. Things were loose, leaked or needed adjustment. We only sold a few of them before problems showed up. The distributor asked us not to sell any more and took back the ones we had in stock. I'll have to check to see if anything has changed. The ones we sold were from the first container to hit the US.
I purchased a 9.9 at the beginning of July. It runs great, however I keep have pieces break off. Is that the kind of assembly issues your customers were having Hopcar?
TrojanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 15:57   #59

Boat: Boatless

Great idea as long as you are attached to a Home Depot.

We are in Bonaire in the S Caribbean, propane is $3,50 a pound ($70/cylinder) and you get a cylinder filled by leaving it for two weeks while they send it to Curacao, the next island over, to get it filled!

The French Islands use Butane...does that run those cute outboards?

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 16:08   #60

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

When you're cruising getting propane is difficult. Even in the US East Coast, without a car it's always an adventure. A propane outboard when your dink is your lifeline just will not work. In the Bahamas, forget about it!

The guy with the propane dink is still rowing in. By the time he gets here the propane truck will have left.

Tags
generator, propane, outboard