Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 05:19   #16

Re: Antifoul Paint - Do you add any 'extras'

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I've read various suggestions of adding a variety of substances to antifoul to make it more potent and extend its life. Here are a few:
Cayenne Pepper and various curry and/or chllli concoctions
tetracycline powder
copper naphthenate powder or cuprous oxide
Tributyltin oxide (TBTO)

I even wondered about just adding a cup full of fine cooper filings from the machine shop to a 4 litre (gallon) can.

Just wondering what the experiences have been of those people who've tried any all of these. Particularly with soft ablative paint for yachts.
Instead of copper filings, get a few tubes of copper radiator stop leak. Many a boatie in St.Thomas add these into the mix.. Can't say how successful it is as I'm one of the so called "douchebags" that uses TBT Bottom Paint and also add the TBT booster available in all of the Chandleries in SXM.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:09   #17

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

In nanny cay I used sea hawk island 47 with extra tin and in the primer I added cupric sulfate 6$ worth from amazon. It's working great with creeters in green cay marina in St Croix.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:15   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Those "douchebags" would include... every single commercial boat in the world including those in the USA.
Sorry chief, you are sadly misinformed.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:21   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper & Nicholson, Nicholson 32, 32', Fals Cappa

Adding chilli powder works well. I added 100g of Hot Chilli Powder per 2.5 litres of antifouling paint. I did test areas with and without the chilli. The result, after six months in a high growth area, was convincing. The downside is that it makes the surface a bit rougher. Why dry, I lightly sanded the surface before the boat went back in the water.
Althebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:30   #20
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Underwater drones coming out, good ones, add a small platform on top of the drone, use PVC to shape a enclosed container of gunpowder and ball bearings. Add magnets to adhere to a metal hull.
Boom...old freighter becomes a reef.

Douche bags fiberglass boats a possibility also.
Paint number of boats sunk somewhere obvious like WWII subs, ship's, planes do, and planes today.

What a dream
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:09   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Sorry chief, you are sadly misinformed.
Yeah right.. I'd suggest you read section b regarding federal law and TBT being exempt for boats 65' or larger. Also even though the US pushed as hard for this as they did to allow Monsanto to poison Americans with GMO's, the rest of the world really didn't go along with it.. OR the GMO crap either..http://nsglc.olemiss.edu/Advisory/Antifouling.pdf
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:22   #22
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yeah right.. I'd suggest you read section b regarding federal law and TBT being exempt for boats 65' or larger.
Referring to some mythical "section b" without providing a quote or a link proves nothing, except that you failed to back up your assertions with actual facts. But the fact remains, you stated unequivically that "every single commercial boat in the world" is using TbT paint. Again, this so far from the truth that it is laughable, and I challenge you to provide a single scrap of evidence that it is true.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:54   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I add 1 jar of Nescafe Instant Coffee per gallon of antifouling.

It keeps the barnacles happy.

Wise ass. What about a jigger of Scotch per gallon.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:59   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yeah right.. I'd suggest you read section b regarding federal law and TBT being exempt for boats 65' or larger.
Your informations is years out fo date. Here is what I found when doing some quick research on the subject. This is the gist of the International Maritime Organization's ban on TbT anti fouling paints:

International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-fouling Systems on Ships

Adoption: 5 October 2001; Entry into force: 17 September 2008

​The Convention prohibits the use of harmful organotins in anti-fouling paints used on ships and establishes a mechanism to prevent the potential future use of other harmful substances in anti-fouling systems.

Annex I states that all ships shall not apply or re-apply organotins compounds which act as biocides in anti-fouling systems. This applies to all ships (including fixed and floating platforms, floating storage units (FSUs), and Floating Production Storage and Offtake units (FPSOs).

This is the President of the United States, George W. Bush, asking the Senate in 2008n to ratify the ban, which they did:

TO THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES:

I transmit herewith, for the advice and consent of the Senate to its ratification, the International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-Fouling Systems on Ships, 2001 (the "Convention").

Organotin-based anti-fouling systems are specifically regulated through the Organotin Anti-Fouling Paint Control Act of 1988 (OAPCA), 33 U.S.C. 2401-2410. New legislation is required to fully implement the Convention and will take the form of a complete revision and replacement of OAPCA. All interested executive branch agencies support ratification.

I recommend that the Senate give early and favorable consideration to the Convention and give its advice and consent to its ratification, with the declaration set out in the analysis of Article 16 in the attached article-by-article analysis.

GEORGE W. BUSH

THE WHITE HOUSE,

January 22, 2008.

Here is the U.S. Coast Guard Commander in 2012, giving instruction on enforcing the ban on TbT anti fouling paints in U.S. territorial waters:

Old 08-01-2017, 13:52   #25

A bit off subject

Now dont write" fstttmms" off.

We come from a farm in an area growing Macadamia nuts which attracts " lots" of bush rats which have an appetite for insulation on electrical wiring. I had a car destroyed and written off by them , we stopped them with a concoction of getting some of those small red hot chillies boiling them down to just a small amount of remaining fluid and spraying it diluted 60% water 40% chilly liquid , and spraying it all over car /tractor /machinery wiring , that stopped them completely! Should be absolutely useless information in a Yacht?
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 13:55   #26
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney21 View Post
A bit off subject

Now dont write" fstttmms" off.

We come from a farm in an area growing Macadamia nuts which attracts " lots" of bush rats which have an appetite for insulation on electrical wiring. I had a car destroyed and written off by them , we stopped them with a concoction of getting some of those small red hot chillies boiling them down to just a small amount of remaining fluid and spraying it diluted 60% water 40% chilly liquid , and spraying it all over car /tractor /machinery wiring , that stopped them completely! Should be absolutely useless information in a Yacht?
Jeezus- the reason adding peppers to anti fouling paint doesn't do anything is because the fouling organisms don't eat the paint. And even if they did, there is zero evidence that peppers increases the efficacy of anti fouling paint, despite what the occasional kitchen sink chemist or old salt from 3 slips down might infer.
Old 08-01-2017, 14:03   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper & Nicholson, Nicholson 32, 32', Fals Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Jeezus- the reason adding peppers to anti fouling paint doesn't do anything is because the fouling organisms don't eat the paint. And even if they did, there is zero evidence that peppers increases the efficacy of anti fouling paint, despite what the ocassional kitchen sink chemist or old salt from 3 slips down might infer.
Are you discounting my evidence above?
Althebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 14:08   #28
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althebass View Post
Are you discounting my evidence above?
Yes. You don't have any evidence. What you have is an anecdote with nothing to back it up.
Old 08-01-2017, 14:11   #29
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

interesting idea to use additives in the paint, but I would think you'd need more than vigorous stirring to do anything other than suspend the poisons in the paint. how do you know the additive is getting out of the paint and into the water?

nothing works for me except to use the boat at least every other day, no growth or slime at all with ablative paint if you can move often.
Old 08-01-2017, 14:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I've read various suggestions of adding a variety of substances to antifoul to make it more potent and extend its life. Here are a few:
Cayenne Pepper and various curry and/or chllli concoctions
tetracycline powder
copper naphthenate powder or cuprous oxide
Tributyltin oxide (TBTO)

I even wondered about just adding a cup full of fine cooper filings from the machine shop to a 4 litre (gallon) can.

Just wondering what the experiences have been of those people who've tried any all of these. Particularly with soft ablative paint for yachts.
I have been told! Anti Biotics. Dosage enough to dose a horse per litre.
fnoldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint