Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 14:08   #76
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Antifoul Paint - Do you add any 'extras'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It may be time to close down what is beginning to be a sh@#t slinging contest.
Why? Because you don't like the short-lived direction the thread took 18 hours ago? Feel free to not read or take part in it if you find it distresses you. This has been an interesting discussion. Please do not attempt to impose your will upon those who are enjoying it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 15:11   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
................... The irony of the guy who cleans dirty hulls arguing that bottom paints are effective was too much for me.
I would have to stand with fstbttms in this debate. As a liveaboard cruiser that started painting boat bottoms back when mercury paints were still sold on the shelves, I have witnessed the differences in the effectiveness of bottom paints by product, ingredients and location.

Two things stand out as stark truths that reveal much support for fstbttms' position. First, boats painted with commercial bottom paints have far less growth and fouling than boats not painted or painted without commercial anti-fouling additives. Second, every anti-fouling paint that I've witnessed over my 45 years of living aboard and cruising works better and lasts longer with occasional light scrubbing.

There's no conflict with effective bottom painting and underwater care.
Old 09-01-2017, 15:28   #78

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Agree with fstbttms and Hudson Force. Over 47 years of boat ownership on both coasts of the US and the Midwest, I've been happy with the performance of good hard bottom paint along with regular gentle underwater cleaning. Regularity of careful cleaning enhances the performance of the paint.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 15:38   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Antifoul Paint - Do you add any 'extras'

On the copper sheets comment as anti foul, I don't believe it was for anti foul, but worms. Pure copper or at least the alloy used to make copper pipes will foul just as fast as anything else not painted with anti foul. Try it, it's easy, just drop some scrap copper pipe on a string and wait a month.
That is why I have a hard time believing that just metallic cooper added to paint will do anything, cause a piece of copper pipe readily fouls just like everything else.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:07   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
On the copper sheets comment as anti foul, I don't believe it was for anti foul, but worms. Pure copper or at least the alloy used to make copper pipes will foul just as fast as anything else not painted with anti foul. Try it, it's easy, just drop some scrap copper pipe on a string and wait a month.
That is why I have a hard time believing that just metallic cooper added to paint will do anything, cause a piece of copper pipe readily fouls just like everything else.
Copper works well if you dive over the side every 4 weeks and give it a scrub, I had epoxy copper coat on my 33ft tri, terrible to scrub in winter so I overcoated it with anti-foul.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:14   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes copper sheet, a must do on timber keels to the garboard seam, on the east coast of Aust. Toreedo worm.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint