Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2006, 14:33   #16

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Shock loading

Talbot,
I agree with you about shock loading yet I must not have been clear that I use nylon as well as those large black snubbers, and other devices, to span between the Dacron pendants, one on the dock, the other on the cleat running to just past the fairlead.

I am VERY careful about chafe on lines or sails and also very careful about shock loading any part of the boat.

No matter how large one makes a nylon line it will always stretch sufficiently to chafe over a fairlead AND the first wrap or so around a cleat, another reason to use a Dacron pendant. By connecting the nylon via an eye to an eye of the Dacron pendant the resulting balanced connection does not cause any chafe on the nylon, only local "heating" if one were to heavily load the nylon repeatedly. This connection is easily inspected, unlike nylon formed around a thimble which hides the damaged fibers.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 18:43   #17
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Karl,

I should have been more specific. During a hurricane, we must vacate our marina. Some head for hurricane holes (a different topic), most anchor out. My previous comments relate to anchoring, not dock lines. The way we do it here the Fire Hose is wrapped and sewn.

The problem with rigid plastic chafe gear is lack of lubrication. Of course a line will generate a lot of heat in a hurricane and those things hold the heat in.

Denim, or Fire hose let enough water in to cool the lines. No heat generated failures. We just pray the ground tackle holds.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 05:33   #18

Boat: Slocum 37 Cutter "Little Dipper"
Rick,

OMG... you vacate the marina during a hurricane??? I'm must be missing something here. No one vacates here... actually, to the contrary. The marinas completely fill up with out of the area boats.

So... what happens if no one is on the boat to move it before the storm makes landfall?

BTW... thats for the help on anti-chafing gear.
Old 21-04-2006, 05:51   #19
cruiser

Yeah, I'm not happy about it either. It wasn't always that way. In 2004 Hurricane Francis severly damaged the place. 3 weeks later when hurricane Jean hit, it was totally demolished, with several of the boats tossed up onto the road it's on, US1. It was determined by their insurance company that major damage to the facility would have ben avoided had the boats been removed.

Here's the marina, as you can see it's on a Lee shore when hurricane winds are from the NW, which is just about allways.
Old 21-04-2006, 06:28   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Rick:
Check out current Florida State Law - I believe it’s illegal for them to make you evacuate the marina for storms.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 06:42   #21
cruiser

Is it?? I would love to find that law!!

On my way to do research... Florida statutes here I come...

Rick in Florida
Old 21-04-2006, 06:52   #22
cruiser

Gord. You're right, at least I think you're right. Or can this be construed to mean liva a board.

The 2005 Florida Statutes

Title XXIV
VESSELS Chapter 327
VESSEL SAFETY View Entire Chapter

327.59 Marina evacuations.--

(1) After June 1, 1994, marinas may not adopt, maintain, or enforce policies pertaining to evacuation of vessels which require vessels to be removed from marinas following the issuance of a hurricane watch or warning, in order to ensure that protecting the lives and safety of vessel owners is placed before interests of protecting property.

(2) Nothing in this section may be construed to restrict the ability of an owner of a vessel or the owner's authorized representative to remove a vessel voluntarily from a marina at any time or to restrict a marina owner from dictating the kind of cleats, ropes, fenders, and other measures that must be used on vessels as a condition of use of a marina.

History.--s. 22, ch. 93-211; s. 11, ch. 95-146; s. 464, ch. 95-148; s. 2, ch. 95-150.
Old 21-04-2006, 07:02   #23
cruiser

Gord, if a strong category 3 or higher storm were to hit us, this marina would be completely destroyed again and I wouldn't want my boat there. However, this is very good to know for weaker storms

Rick in Florida
Old 21-04-2006, 07:03   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes that’s what it means - but check w/w BoatUS Government Affairs for current status.
In 2004: http://www.boatus.com/gov/hurricanes_0105.htm

Old 21-04-2006, 08:46   #25
cruiser

Not all marinas offer hurricane protection

Informative article!! Gord, as a lot of the article was on my marina!! Not all marinas offer hurricane protection, and I'm in one which certainly doesn't. -- Rick

"........After 27 years in the marina business, fifth-generation Floridian Ed Carter has endured more hurricanes than he’d like and is busy rebuilding his devastated Diamond 99 Marina in Melbourne, FL, a BoatU.S. Cooperating Marina. He was so quick making repairs that his main dock, rebuilt right after Hurricane Frances, was re-ruined by Hurricane Jeanne. ......."
Old 16-03-2010, 15:25   #26

Boat: Sceptre 41
The main cause of chafe seems to be the point over the deck hull connection. To my mind if you had cleats attached to the side of the hull you would eliminate a major source of chafe. Yes they would be unsightly. Since my boat has the aluminum toe rails all the way around the boat I have recently thought of building a cleat would be demountable. When it was needed you would attach it to the toe rail. Another advantage of this kind of cleat would be the ability of moving the cleat to different locations on the boat when it would be more useful to have a cleat in a different position. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Would the toe rail be strong enough to be used as a cleat?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 15:32   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Or tubular rigging webbing for a fraction of the price...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachting Mike View Post
Chafe-Pro is the best stuff I have come across. The website is www.chafepro.com They have an online store for their stock sizes which are all listed on their website. They are a reputable company that has been around for quite awhile, they mainly serve the US Coast Guard & US Navy, but have recently ventured out into the recreational to superyacht market. Their chafing gear covers lines from 3/8" - 4" in diameter, so there is a vast array of models to choose from.
...I've been using it for 25 years.

There's some info on my blog.
Old 16-03-2010, 15:48   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
The main cause of chafe seems to be the point over the deck hull connection. To my mind if you had cleats attached to the side ...
... Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Would the toe rail be strong enough to be used as a cleat?
Yes, the toe rail should be strong enough for a smaller boat. Not sure about a 41' Sceptre.

CS Johnson #48-510 Folding Rail Cleat
Stainless Steel Cable Hardware, Splice Line Turnbuckles, Anchor Chain Tensioners, Spring Loaded Door Latches: C. Sherman Johnson Co: East Haddam, CT
Attached Images

Old 16-03-2010, 20:59   #29

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlg View Post
Regarding the fire hose, is it being slipped over the docklines as a tube or sliced lengthwise and sewn? How are the ends secured to the line?
karl -
We've been using fire hose on our working anchor. We slip a section about 3-4 feet long over the rode. We put a small hole in each end and secure a strong length of cord in each hole, then use the cord to keep the hose in place on the rode. Like Ram, we acquire the hose from a local fire station. It can get pretty popular, so arrange it ahead of time when they're getting ready to buy new hoses.
Old 17-03-2010, 13:28   #30

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
I use scraps of old rope, weave one end through and then coil tightly till you think you've covered enough and weave through again. Come back over in the other direction if you want, then let the line out until it is in the perfect spot. If it starts to wear through, do it again and let it out further. Sometimes I use gray duct tape over the whole mess to keep everything from shifting.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote