Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2015, 18:47   #1

Aluminium boats and galvanic corrosion

I'm interested in people's experience in regards to galvanic corrosion on aluminium boats. I really like aluminium boats, however the corrosion issue is really concerning. I'd also like feedback on a possible solution I am considering.

Assume a 40 foot aluminium cat. Boat is often stored in a marina alongside other boats, possibly steel ones. I would be many miles away.
Epoxy painted bilge to prevent corrosion issues there and regularly inspected.
Isolation transformer to prevent issues from shore power in marinas.
Correctly engineered zinc anodes on the boat.
A corrosion sensor to monitor the zinc anodes. This sensor connected to a remote monitoring system which emails me status of the corrosion, as well as other system variables in the boat.

Assume there is no issues with internet coverage for the corrosion monitor, and the corrosion monitor is reliable with a twin system for backup.

What do people think? Is it possible to design an anti corrosion system which is reliable?

I don't want an active catholic protection system as a system fault could cause it to drive a voltage differential and cause problems in a very short time. I would rather monitor the system using a dual redundant system.

Am I crazy?
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion