Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2013, 16:21   #1

Boat: O'Day 28
Ablative or Hard Epoxy?

I have some buying opportunities re bottom paint. I can buy new direct from the fisher supply at a discount or two buddies have unused paint. One has 2 old gal of "Awlgrip" ablative. Old but cheap. Another has a gal of something or other that weighs several #s. Old, cheap.$40. All paint appears to be factory sealed.

I currently have a couple coats of white something on boat. No thick build up so prob was down to gelcoat as boat is 40+ years old. It would be impolite to ask a lady her exact age. The white is chalky but I don't foresee a prob with painting over it.

I've searched and most feel it's OK to use old paint beyond the hassle. But I'm thinking mixing it could be a MAJOR undertaking. I have a stirrer and 1/2" drill but what if after all that, the ablative has lost it's antifoul properties? The heavy can has real copper so I guess if I can liquify it, it would be effective.

It just seems really old fashioned to use thick, heavy paint when we now have these 2nd gen paints.

Free advice/thoughts welcome.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 16:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Ablative or Hard Epoxy?

Years ago I heard rumors of anti-fouling paint losing it's anti when stored for too long. Know that Interlux ablative was still fine after three years in storage.

Personally I like Interlux Micron Extra ablative paint. Doesn't build up and has held up for three years in Hawaii. One trick I just learned is to buy two different colors of ablative paint. Put the color that's different than your existing paint on first then second coat with another color. You can see when you've worn through the first coat and know it's really past time for a new bottom job when the original bottom paint starts showing through.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 16:42   #3

Bottom paints are reasonably ineffective... especially on boats not moving fast through the water. Better to use an inexpensive hard paint, and hire a diver or regularly scrub it yourself. Probably cheaper and more effective.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 17:07   #4

pirate Re: Ablative or Hard Epoxy?

Peter, I flipped over to the Micron site and read this:

Micron Technology uses copper more efficiently than old fashioned, high copper load bottom paints

Are they reading my mind or my email?

Micron worked very well in Miami, even years ago, stuff should be even better now. Trinidad was also good in Miami and the Carolinas.

Capt jef. I've always done my own. But would rather not, and too frugal to pay somebody.
Old 31-03-2013, 17:35   #5

Blue,
Frugal may apply or being pissed to pay the high prices for a paint job in addition to the paint. The yard I stored out wouldn't even let me paint! This gets ridiculously expensive!

Scrubbing is the way to go to keep a slippery bottom.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
Bottom paints are reasonably ineffective... especially on boats not moving fast through the water. Better to use an inexpensive hard paint, and hire a diver or regularly scrub it yourself. Probably cheaper and more effective.
While I agree 100% with the sentiment about hull cleaning, I must take exception to the bit about using a cheap paint. You get what you pay for with anti fouling paints and using a cheap paint is a sure way to hasten your next haulout. Use a high-quality paint, clean it relatively frequently (before it gets even moderately foul) and you will save big dollars in the long run because you will have hauled for paint less often.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:18   #7
Sponsoring Vendor

Cheap paints are just that... cheap paint.

If you plan on leaving your boat in the water for extended periods of time (like 1 to 2 years) then the bottom should be protected with a good epoxy barrier paint like Interlux 2000E of Sea Hawk Tuff-Stuff (Prevents blisters and blister protection), this should be followed up with a good ablative paint like Interlux Micron of Sea Hawk Cukote.... both a have high copper content. Micron (27% Copper, 10% Tin).... Sea Hawk Cukote (47% Copper).

It's also a good practice to have the bottom cleaned by a diver based on the waters where your boat is kept on a weekly of monthly basis based on water conditions and sea growth.

I've seen situations on the Raritan Bay (Lower Hudson NY/NJ) where even boats with good paint were covered with thick algae in as little as 2 weeks when the boat was just kept at a slip and not in use.

Also remember no ablative paint protects your boats bottom from blisters... Ablatives are designed to slow sea growth and they do let water through to the next protective layer that being your boats gel-coat or a protective epoxy barrier coat which does keeps the water away from your boats gel coat.
AtlanticGreenPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:48   #8

pirate Re: Ablative or Hard Epoxy?

As it turned out, I couldn't bring myself to buy either type of the old paints.

Nor could I escape the feeling that lathering on hard epoxy, even Trinidad which I like, is needless work down the line.

So I looked at the Microns and other ablatives. The ACT paint label and description and price got me. Half the price of Microns, and also made by Interlux. My thinking was how different/worse can it be? We'll see. I'll be on the move mostly, and if I need to hand wipe to extend the life of it, I can do so.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:07   #9

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
As it turned out, I couldn't bring myself to buy either type of the old paints.

Nor could I escape the feeling that lathering on hard epoxy, even Trinidad which I like, is needless work down the line.

So I looked at the Microns and other ablatives. The ACT paint label and description and price got me. Half the price of Microns, and also made by Interlux. My thinking was how different/worse can it be? We'll see. I'll be on the move mostly, and if I need to hand wipe to extend the life of it, I can do so.
I think you'll find that ACT is very soft. It works really well on boat that moves very little or on dock queens. I had it on our boat last summer and due to various reasons, the boat moved very little. Bottom was amazingly clean at the end of the season. If you are moving a lot, I'd keep an eye on the bottom to be sure the paint is not wearing off too fast. Good luck.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:12   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticGreenPro View Post
[B]
If you plan on leaving your boat in the water for extended periods of time (like 1 to 2 years) then the bottom should be protected with a good epoxy barrier paint like Interlux 2000E of Sea Hawk Tuff-Stuff (Prevents blisters and blister protection), this should be followed up with a good ablative paint like Interlux Micron of Sea Hawk Cukote.... both a have high copper content. Micron (27% Copper, 10% Tin).... Sea Hawk Cukote (47% Copper).
What do you have against a hard paint?

BTW- neither of the two products you listed is particularly high in copper. Also, please identify the Micron product that lists "tin" as an ingredient.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I think you'll find that ACT is very soft. It works really well on boat that moves very little or on dock queens. I had it on our boat last summer and due to various reasons, the boat moved very little. Bottom was amazingly clean at the end of the season. If you are moving a lot, I'd keep an eye on the bottom to be sure the paint is not wearing off too fast. Good luck.
Thanks. I'm doing the two different color strategy so it will be easy to tell.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
What do you have against a hard paint?

BTW- neither of the two products you listed is particularly high in copper. Also, please identify the Micron product that lists "tin" as an ingredient.

+1. I think Trinidad is the way to go for many reasons. Our Seahawk rep, Tony, is always around pushing product and we get it cheap. He recently busted me red handed at Fisheries with a cart load of Trinidad for my boat. He gave me a hard time, but understood why I'd pay more for SR. And that's from a rep!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42   #13

Boat: Grand Banks 36

Moving or not, if you have your bottom cleaned periodically by a cleaning service, a hard bottom paint stays on much better than ablative. The cleaning crews work to keep growth off your hull, and a hard paint fares much better with the cleaning. In So. Cal. we use Interlux Ultra Bottom Paint. Has reasonable level of copper and stays on the boat.
pumpcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:47   #14
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpcity View Post
In So. Cal. we use Interlux Ultra Bottom Paint. Has reasonable level of copper and stays on the boat.
+1

Ultra is the Interlux version of Trinidad. This is a high-copper paint.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:18   #15

Boat: Grand Banks 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
+1

Ultra is the Interlux version of Trinidad. This is a high-copper paint.

Good to know.
pumpcity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy