Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2022, 16:40   #1

Boat: Catamaran, monohull, pontoon
Send a message via AIM to watermanmax
46 foot leopard is it worth it

Odd question,
so I found a 2008-2010 46 foot de-masted Leopard cat.....I am wondering if it is worth it to refit it.......

or a better question....if the hull is sound and all else needs to be replaced... If I can buy the fiberglass hull for about 20,000 us....do you think the hull is worth that much?
watermanmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 17:42   #2

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57
Re: 46 foot leopard is it worth it

It all depends on how trashed it is. If it lost its mast, that's often indication of structural problems with the hull itself flexing on cats. If it's a hull with good engines, maybe 10-16k. Also, whatever number you have in your head to do the refit, double it.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 17:43   #3

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermanmax View Post
Odd question,
so I found a 2008-2010 46 foot de-masted Leopard cat.....I am wondering if it is worth it to refit it.......

or a better question....if the hull is sound and all else needs to be replaced... If I can buy the fiberglass hull for about 20,000 us....do you think the hull is worth that much?
OK, Watermanmax, time to use your head:
  1. What is a used one in good sailing condition worth?
  2. What is missing besides mast? engines, sail drives, sails boom, running rigging interior, electronics?
  3. Price out all these things and whatever they seem to be listed for, double that to get it installed (even DIY)
  4. Add the cost of your own time, whatever that is worth, to the mix. It will be a year or more.
  5. Total it up and compare to the price of the used one ready to sail.
  6. Then you will know if it is worth it.
  7. Oh, don't forget all the cruising equipment which usually comes with a "sail-away" boat.

If this seems too hard for you to do (to figure out if it is worth it) then you're not ready to take on that project.
Old 04-09-2022, 18:30   #4

Cat are much more complicated engineering than monohulls. The two hulls twist going over waves putting tremendous loads on the cross beams and structure holding them together. It's really unlikely this boat won't need major engineering work to get that right again.
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 21:52   #5

This is impossible without knowing more. If it were just the mast then yes, it is worth it.

For the price, it sounds more like a hurricane left over, which is probably not worth it in my opinion. Others feel different about those types of projects.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard