Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2018, 07:26   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David
Yanmar Improvements

Would anyone have any knowledge on the differences and service history of the Yanmar 4JH2HTE and the 4JH3TE.

I am looking at two boats both Beneteau and both engines are 75 hp.

Is one particularly more desirable?

Many thanks

Fletch
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 07:57   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Yanmar Improvements

Fletch,
The answer, I believe, is the 4HJ2-HTE is the slightly older version, and the 4JH3-TE is the slightly newer version....many of the "bolt-on" parts are interchangeable, like oil filters, belts, etc..
But some (most?) internal parts are different (a subscription to boatdiesel.com would get you many answers)

I have a 4JH2-HTE (a 1999 model, with about 1800hrs) and she starts INSTANTLY (never needs to "crank", just "bump" the starter button and she's running), and purrs along just beautifully....(although, when cold she takes about 3 minutes to idle perfectly smooth, that's rare in warm / tropical climes).

I have friends with sister-ships, with the newer version (4JH3-TE) and they have similar stories, of love for their Yanmar....(although they have an "electric" stop button, and I have the simple "pull-cable" stop / fuel-shut-off, and I prefer the old-fashioned pull-cable stop.)

Personally, I've found Yanmar's to be wonderful engines, and if you change the oil/filter regularly, feed them clean fuel (change Racor's regularly), they will run and run....and you're more likely to sell the boat before ever needing a rebuild.

As to your exact question (which one is more desirable)??
I'd pick the one that is better maintained, and/or has less hours...
But, to be clear, I'd pick the boat that has been better maintained and/or less "used", and the actual engine hours would be down my list of criteria a bit...

As long as you stay away from the "modern" hi-pressure common-rail injection engines, you should be fine.

I hope this helps.

Fair winds.

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 08:59   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Yanmar Improvements

To KAW4JA:
Thanks for adding your detailed comment and opinion.
Please add it (or edit to fit) to the following thread (just copy/paste your comments) in a new comment in the thread. If you have already posted something similar in that thread, just disregard this request.

You always post such good content (experience) and finding it in the linked thread (below) may be easier for others later.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ms-175199.html

TO THE OP or ANYONE:
The linked thread above has a number of opinions posted by some of CF's most experienced sailors. Each posted their "Love or Hate" about their boat engines, and many were various Yanmar models. Take a look.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, yanmar