Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2017, 17:24   #31

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Yanmar Fresh Water Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Be careful with that, I pulled the one out of my 4JHE and put it in a Lowe’s bucket with some acid and it started boiling like crazy, very soon I realized no way was there that much calcium so I pulled it out, got a good look at it and realized it was either heavily plated with zinc, or many of the parts were zinc.
Acid, even vinegar will destroy zinc in a hurry.
So will sea water. If your tube stack was made with zinc the maker should be avoided at all cost. Tube stacks should be made with cupro-nickel alloy. Brass is a copper-zinc alloy, bronze is copper-tin. That is why yout sea cocks may by bronze but must not be brass.

What acid were you using?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 17:55   #32

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I have a 2GM (owned for 20years) and a 3GM (owned for 12 years). I have kept the sea water side of the heat exchangers cleaned with the pistol cleaning brush/ drill since day one. A boat yard manager in the Keys told me to pull the tube bank and use a mild acid. Decided to try a different approach and never looked back. First time I pulled both end caps, now don't even bother with the back one. One gasket, 20 minutes and done.

If you haven't noticed the sea water side is a three pass path set up. Don't have the foggiest idea what the tube material is but copper nickel would be a good bet.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 18:32   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attikos View Post
Noted, and thanks. Why do they make them that way? Is it perhaps a substitute for sacrificial anodes on motors that don't have them by design?

That is my theory, as my old 4JHE does not have a sacrificial anode.
Seems foolish for it not to, but just maybe average Joe boater doesn’t know what a sacrificial anode is, so they don’t get changed, and Yanmar tried to outsmart them?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 18:46   #34
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Yanmar typically uses cupro-nickel alloy for their heat exchangers and this metal does not require zinc for protection.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 12:52   #35

Boat: islandpacket

So why do every one want to grind off the cupro nickel off ?
Old 20-10-2017, 13:15   #36

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

I have the old thermostat out, Yanmar part no. 121750-49800 (I assume). Here is the stamping from its flange:
71 degrees C
A logo, a capital A with the letters FT below the bar
Two numbers: 97 and 12

It is not a dual. It has one valve disc at the top, and another, smaller disc at the bottom not sealed that must be a tensioning device rather than a valve.

Over height is 61mm, height from flange to base 42mm
Flange diameter: 44mm
Lower disc diameter: 28mm
Diameter of dome housing above flange: 30.5mm
Diameter of open frame below flange: 37mm

A stove pot test opened the valve starting at 160F, just as the stamped temperature rating calls for. The valve was fully open at 180F. I conclude from this that it is working properly and does not need to be replaced.

I nonetheless carried it around to some parts places. Two of them told me this same engine is used in a common front end loader. Only one shop, a diesel engine dealership, could quote me on it at all. It would charge about half the price of the marine dealers with whom I have spoken and would have to order it in.

I tried again to find a substitute on the Internet. Dayco, referenced in a post above, lists no match. Stant too appears not to have one. I could uncover no cross reference using the Yanmar part number.

Conclusion:
A. Success with the basic problem: the old thermostat is still good.
B. Failure on finding a generic replacement.
c. Partial success on getting the price down somewhat: a tractor dealer may provide it for less than a chandlery.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 17:27   #37

Sounds like a win👍
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, yanmar