Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 18:52   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Why marinize the exhaust manifold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
While this may be possible, the real cost of such a system is often the smell and sound of diesel exhaust in your cockpit, plus living with a potentially serious fire hazard.
Indeed. There are good reasons why you almost never see this.

Besides engine room heat (you can never lag every bit of it), there is a significant design challenge to create a connection to the hull opening which is at the same time watertight, well-insulated (to avoid burning the hull) AND flexible.

It's not an accident that the wet exhaust is almost universal on small inboard powered boats.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 19:00   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
It is possible to build a system which has significant reliability advantages over the conventional wet exhaust. And it can be done at a significant cost savings.
Given the fact that this is a raw water cooled engine you still need to pump sea water. Why not use it to cool the exhaust. Besides, installing a keel cooler into this particular boat would be very expensive. I'm not saying that dry exhaust systems don't exist but they are irrelevant to this conversation.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 19:30   #33

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Remember though, we're talking about the manifold only, not the exhaust, though assuredly a water-cooled manifold cools the exhaust somewhat. With the dry manifold, the exhaust would still be cooled through the mixing elbow, which enters right above the lift pump. The question is whether an insulated dry manifold would destroy the surrounding components and/or the riser and/or start a fire and whether the water from the mixing elbow would be enough to cool the exhaust so that the exhaust doesn't destroy the lift pump, the $23/ft exhaust hose, or start a fire at the hull connection.

John, would still love to hear what you would use JB Weld for, if anything.

Got the engine reassembled. The lack of threads on one of the studs cut the experiment short, however. I was trying to use a rubber gasket for the thermostat, and couldn't compress it enough because of this deteriorated stud. Ugh. Letting it dry out for a bit and I'll try again with rtv. Then, mr. happy drill and mr. mean tap come out. Already had to tap the other stud hole. I'm learning bunches of new skills!

The patch seemed to hold but I've identified a small exhaust leak in another part of the line. Boats, huh?

The good news: the new water pump works great! Water all over the engine bay courtesy of the bad stud/leaky gasket. Next old boat with an old diesel will also at least have an old outboard ...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 20:33   #34

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I am not sure of the validity of the following comment but I will share it anyway as it came up a number of times when reading up on insulating marine exhausts, a job I completed just recently on our Nissan Ed33, a 96 HP conventionally aspirated truck engine.

Again and again I found remarks cautioning that good heat insulation on our cast iron exhaust would have a negative impact of shortening the lifespan of the pipe. For this reason I guess I am glad to have a water cooled manifold as the exhaust gasses hitting the insulated section of cast iron before the mixing elbow are surprisingly cool. The point being, if the warnings are correct, a well insulated manifold might well cause problems downstream in the exhaust system, particularly when combined with very unnerving setup where the main exhaust runs dry until the engine has heated enough to allow water through. Overall I feel that the combination could be enough to cause serious risk of fire or at least damage to the remainder of the exhaust pipe.

On balance I personally would keep the cooled manifold but maybe look for after market sources to mange the cost. I got a terrific quote from a local engineer for ours when discussing a what-if scenario since I know ours is not commercially available any more.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-04-2015, 20:34   #35

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

In reply to the various concerns voiced, I'd like to say that dry exhaust, properly done, is a significantly more reliable and trouble free system than wet. There is no reason why there should be any increase in exhaust odor. Why should there be? If exiting at the same location?

Likewise, it is very possible, and I would consider it mandatory, to insulate all the exhaust system. You start at one end and work to the other.

I'm an engineer familiar with the design of thermal systems. And I've designed and built some boats. It is my opinion that the almost universal use of salt water cooled exhausts is popular for two reasons: it is a very well developed system which is well understood, and it is the simplest system for a builder to install in a hull. It is not the cheapest system for the owner, either initial cost or down the road expenses.

To do one of these systems well requires stepping off the beaten path a bit. It is very doable, but it does require one to engineer his own system.

The boat I am currently building has a dry exhaust exiting just above the waterline at the stern. The engine is keel cooled, ie there is no saltwater in contact with any part of the system. No raw water pump, thru hull, strainer, etc. This has enabled me to use a industrial diesel at about half the cost of a marine version. This approach eliminates many of the more common failure modes seen on marine diesels.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 21:06   #36

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Hi Matt,

I can't comment on the sources that said that insulating cast iron manifolds causes premature failure. What I can point out is that insulating manifolds, and turbo housings on blown engines, is very common. It is seen rather commonly in the industrial world, and it is well recognized in the performance world as being a method to gain a small horsepower increase out of an engine, particularly turbo'd engines, where the hotter exhaust gas improves turbo efficiency.

At a basic level, diesel engine exhaust is much cooler than gas engine exhaust. Our exhaust systems don't see anywhere near as much heat as gas engines do. They're made out of similar materials. There's a fairly large built in safety factor there.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 21:08   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
This approach eliminates many of the more common failure modes seen on marine diesels.
Which are?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 23:42   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Which are?
He means:

1. Clogged intake strainer; overheated engine, burned-down exhaust, risk of sinking

2. Failed impeller; ditto

3. Overcranked engine; hydrolock; severe engine damage

etc.

His point is well taken, and who would not love to have the simplicity of a dry exhaust. But the bottom line is heat -- small sailboats can't cope with that much heat in the sometimes very small and sometimes poorly ventilated engine compartments, and it's really hard to engineer a safe, flexible, hull outlet for uncooled exhaust gasses for a plastic boat (metal boat somewhat different story).

As to "engineer it yourself" for such a safety-critical, difficult system -- there seems not to be any smiley for "shudder".

Yes, wet exhaust systems are expensive and complicated, with a number of failure modes. And extra holes in the boat. But like so many things, they are expensive because -- they are worth it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 00:40   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

...And extra holes in the boat....
That one got me scratching my head... (I do not have fleas). As far as I can tell with our system there are no more holes than there would be with a dry exhaust, since the exhaust outlet doubles as the raw cooling water outlet. And the raw cooling water inlet would be needed regardless since keel cooling is not an option on our dear old tupperware boat. So actually, a dry exhaust on our boat (insert shudder smiley here) would need MORE holes.

But you are right, we really do need a shudder-smiley.

Matt

(normal smiley!)
Old 21-04-2015, 00:45   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
...and it is well recognized in the performance world as being a method to gain a small horsepower increase out of an engine, particularly turbo'd engines, where the hotter exhaust gas improves turbo efficiency.
Yeah, I realised that when I went to buy the exhaust wrap and found it in the "performance" section of the local auto store. It made me laugh because they had just seen me pull up in my ancient Volvo brick wagon. They just HAD to be jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Matt
Old 21-04-2015, 00:53   #41

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Only a few of the yachts I've ever worked on had dry stack exhausts. But at least one of those had a serious exhaust related fire. This was on a virtually brand new boat that had been built by a longtime builder, not some DIY lash-up.

The enclosed space taken up by these dry stacks can be considerable. It is within these enclosures that most of their fires start.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 02:30   #42

Boat: Island Packet 40

I made this one out of SHS and RHS stainless tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0040.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	100756  
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 05:32   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I made this one out of SHS and RHS stainless tube.
Very tidy and innovative. To clarify please, what make/hp of engine?

Matt
Old 22-04-2015, 07:29   #44

Boat: Island Packet 40

The engine is a Kubuto V2203 50 HP. It is raw water cooled and the four devices which can be seen under the manifold are the brass sleeves which were installed by interference fit in the block where the welsh plugs were removed to allow fitting of anodes. The bell housing was fabricated from alloy plate using only hand tools and I fitted two starter motors, one each side. All in all it is surprising what you can achieve when you set your mind to it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 07:38   #45

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I've been on two boats with dry exhausts (well, one was a ship really). As others have said, heat is the only real problem, but it can be a big problem. The carbon deposits that build up from normal running of the engine have to be cleaned out or at least burned off regularly. We had a fire once because we weren't running the engine hard enough, the carbon built up and then ignited. We had 30-foot flames shooting out the top of the stack. It was fun.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust