Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 08:56   #46

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: White smoke at >2500+rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegleg Sands View Post
you're absolutely correct.But if it's getting ib the combustion chamber,you've got a problem.And you'll be washing a cylinder with antifreeze,and the unburned coolant will be coming out the exhaust.I thought the moderator said they couldn't isolate a particular cylinder. I've had a faulty heat exchanger do this.The coolant was leaking into the raw water.A blown gasket isn't the end of world but I'd check everything I could before pulling the head.I've had Detroits that had an O-ring around each cylinder.I have a little experience with diesels and it can be a big job for someone with no experience,but definitely do-able.
While everything you say here is correct, it isn't a hard and fast rule that coolant will get past the piston into the oil. If it is a small leak into a cylinder then the coolant will turn to steam and exit the exhaust. If the leak is allowed to get worse then I would imagine that coolant could get into the oil as you state.
A compression test is the next coarse of action. With that information you should be able to tell which cylinder, if any, is low in compression, then with that information you can determine that the head gasket has a leak. Having the compression information is also a great indication of general health of the engine. If the compression is close to factory spec's you know that your engine is generally in good condition.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:08   #47

Yeah,I've got an old Westerbeke 4-107 and I clogged the seawater strainer with a plastic 6-pack thing.Last year I pulled the engine and rebuilt it because it had 3200 hours on it.Honed it,new pistons,bearings,valves,etc.I went to synthetic oil and couldn't be happier.I put an oil change pump out kit on it.What a great invention. I've found in most cases oil will get into the coolant rather than the reverse because your engine will have 40-50 lbs of pressure.I've pulled a reservoir cap and it was bubbling and smoking every time that cylinder fired.Oil in the coolant usually was a crack in the block.
Pegleg Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 13:45   #48

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegleg Sands View Post
I've pulled a reservoir cap and it was bubbling and smoking every time that cylinder fired.
You must have had some really fast bubbles.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2014, 19:52   #49

Re: White Smoke at >2500+rpm

If you've never seen it I guess it's hard to picture.I've fixed three or four warped heads or blown gaskets over the years.That's the most common symptom along with white smoke or coolant in the oil.I had a 3 cyl Kubota gen. that had a warped head.I just left the radiator cap loose so the compression didn't build up.I used it for 4 years that way.Talk to any experienced diesel mechanic before you decide it's BS
Pegleg Sands is offline   Reply With Quote