Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2014, 09:59   #31

Re: Which new engine for repower

Take a good look at both engines. Note the locations of oil filters, fuel filters, etc. Does one look easier to work on? From what I've seen of the latest Betas, they've put everything at the front, making for very easy access.

I've almost thought of re-powering, just to never have to reach the oil filter on my Universal 5424 ever again.
Old 26-12-2014, 10:05   #32

Boat: Allied 39

Just another comment in the mix. We replaced our old worn Westerbeke 4107 with a yanmar 40hp about 5 years ago. So far we have not had one issue. BUT with saying that the spare parts are a total killer. Yanmar has a deal with regions in the US and aftermarket parts are so freakin expensive that the $1300.00 difference between the beta and Yanmar will be quickly realized when buying spares for the beta versus the Yanmar. Secondly none of the wiring on the yanmar is tinned. There wiring harness is a joke and we know of many folks replacing it with there own after some problems. Don't even think of installing a Yanmar turbo if you have that choice. We would seriously consider a Beta if we had to do it all over again.

Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-12-2014, 10:15   #33

The wiring and electrics on the Beta are no better. That has been my only problem with the otherwise fine Beta products. Now I keep the engine connector and the back of the control panel soaked with protective goo. The keyswitch is plain steel and rusts in a hurry. Helps turn the engine's battery switch off to stop the electrolysis of the control panel parts.

[Who coulda known that a marine engine might get wet sometimes? Or be in the tropics? They must hired retired LUCAS electric engineers.]
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 10:26   #34

Boat: Oyster 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Just another comment in the mix. We replaced our old worn Westerbeke 4107 with a yanmar 40hp about 5 years ago. So far we have not had one issue. BUT with saying that the spare parts are a total killer. Yanmar has a deal with regions in the US and aftermarket parts are so freakin expensive that the $1300.00 difference between the beta and Yanmar will be quickly realized when buying spares for the beta versus the Yanmar. Secondly none of the wiring on the yanmar is tinned. There wiring harness is a joke and we know of many folks replacing it with there own after some problems. Don't even think of installing a Yanmar turbo if you have that choice. We would seriously consider a Beta if we had to do it all over again.

Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
It is true, parts are expensive but knock on wood we haven't needed any as the Yanmar we have (4JH3-HTE) is extremely well built and has provided us with flawless performance; including the 600 hours I put on her just last summer in challenging conditions in Alaska.

The only complaint I have is the water pump">raw water pump location. If you ever have to remove it you need to lift the engine off its mount to get at the damn thing!

I don't understand the turbo-phobia on this thread. I know simpler is better but we get more power with a smaller engine because of it (100 hp) and it pushes our 25 ton boat along at 7.5 knots at 2550 RPM (19 inch MaxProp), for what that's worth.

Good luck with your decision.

Dhillen
Old 26-12-2014, 10:27   #35

OK guys, thanks a million for all your feedback! We have decided on the Beta 50. For all the reasons that have been expressed here. And when I asked the dealer if the key area rusts he smirked and said unfortunately it does, keep it oiled all the time! He said it was the only thing embarasing about the engine. Thanks again, Robert
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 10:41   #36

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Yanmar has a reputation for expensive spares here in Europe too :-)

Kubota, in my genny, is superb... and a 10-15% price gap is trifle, sorry

Check best fit with your propeller, in relation to RPM and torque delivery along RPM.

ADD or check silentblocks! Listen to each of them and choose by the tune!
Furthermore, buy 3sqm of lead acoustic panels and fix it w nuts and washers...

...and, which engine has or allows for....
- cardanic transmission
- best coupling with the propeller axis
- a plate to counter the longitudinal thrust OFF the engine frame
- which engine has the most sturdy inversion clutch??

my beloved Volvo TAMD 31 L-A (1997) was designed for tractors, not a sail-drive thingy-bob as currently done. Clutch and transmission make for say 40% of total power unit.

PS I'd never sail on a 90degrees mechanical joint which burns and grip when off use....
PPS I would consider an hybrid unit soon, by Mastervolt e.g.... that's the Future!
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 11:15   #37

Have a look at China they make just about all the engines today. I have a Deutz Designed 100hp made in China under licence. (Just the same as your IPhone, design in Silicone Valley but made in China.) it a beauty and I expect it will go for ever. Cost under $5000. Don't believe the Chinese can't do it just go there and see.
col blumson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2014, 11:29   #38

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I think you will like the Beta 50. I bought one and put about 2000 trouble-free hours on it before I sold my boat. I typically cruised at 1600 rpm and it was much smoother and quieter than the 4108 it replaced. I would buy another one.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 06:25   #39

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

One brand I miss in this discussion are the mitsubishi-based engines. vetus, Sole and Craftsman, amongst others. Allso based on industrial engines with a solid reputation. Dont get me wrong, I love my kubota diesel, and they used to be the cheapest ones too.

But one year ago, at the goteborg boat show, craftsman was way cheaper.

Just sayin'

And the chinese.. seems like they are slowly getting tolerances under control, but metallurgy seems to be the culprit.. they make decent engines for the big corp's but I would really need to know that the "vetus-designed" had the same steel as the brand-name engine.

.manitu

Old 27-12-2014, 14:37   #40

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well I have finally come to terms with the fact that we need to repower. I have decided on one of two 50hp engines, Yanmar and Beta. Both are easy installs in our Moody. The Beta is $1500 more which is a surprise as in the past they have been cheaper but maybe its the British pound. Which one would you choose and why???
Hi ! One argument is to look at the number of retailers, repair centers, etc... I would guess Yanmar is more widespread than Beta ? Isn't it ?
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 15:27   #41

Take a look at the Engine Data sheets ( I just did on line)
It was only a quick look but it appears the Beta power curve is substantially higher at less than max rpm. The Yanmar is rated at 3000 rpm, the Beta at 2800 rpm. But below max rpm the Yanmar drops off real fast.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 15:41   #42

Beta

I drive by Beta's US headquarters twice a day going to and from work.

I have known Stanley for sometime, and it is worth buying a Beta just to have someone like Stanley standing behind the product.

He and all of the folks at Beta US are quality people and I work with them anytime I have the chance to use the products they sell.

Good people standing behind a good product.
And I like Yanmars, but in the smaller engines, Beta has their number.
Capt Hugh Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 14:04   #43

Well we pulled the trigger and it is being air freighted from Britain as I guess the one in NC needed the engine mounts changed. Should be here about a week after the holidays, really looking forward to having an engine again as we are on the hook and I always worry about someone dragging down on us and taking us out as well.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 15:12   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Well we pulled the trigger and it is being air freighted from Britain as I guess the one in NC needed the engine mounts changed. Should be here about a week after the holidays, really looking forward to having an engine again as we are on the hook and I always worry about someone dragging down on us and taking us out as well.

I think you will be very happy with your choice.
Capt Hugh Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 15:22   #45

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Good info to know,.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, repower