Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2015, 06:12   #1

Where to find replacement mesh strainer

We have overhauled the raw water side of our cooling system for our Westerbeke 30 diesel in our 1978 C&C 40. Except the mesh basket in the raw water strainer has a small hole. The strainer is a Perko (that's the imprint on the clear plastic view sleeve) but they claim it is not theirs. I have attached a photo. It is 3 1/2" diameter. I can't find a replacement anywhere. I am in contact with a company that can fabricate one, for a price. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	360.2 KB
ID:	109293   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	344.7 KB
ID:	109294  

nfliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 06:29   #2

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Where to find replacement mesh strainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfliss View Post
We have overhauled the raw water side of our cooling system for our Westerbeke 30 diesel in our 1978 C&C 40. Except the mesh basket in the raw water strainer has a small hole. The strainer is a Perko (that's the imprint on the clear plastic view sleeve) but they claim it is not theirs. I have attached a photo. It is 3 1/2" diameter. I can't find a replacement anywhere. I am in contact with a company that can fabricate one, for a price. Any ideas?
Just replace it with another make. I installed a vetus strainer for I think around a $100.00 Plastic so no corrosion large enough to be easily cleaned. The engine doesn't care where the water comes from just that it's reasonably clean!
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 06:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd lace that hole up with .020 SS safety wire and just keep an eye out for a replacement or maybe a used assembly at a good price.
the wire would last years if the rest of the screen is in good shape
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 07:01   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Where to find replacement mesh strainer

Tha doesn't look like the original Perko strainer basket. That actually looks like a kitchen sink drain strainer that happened to fit the strainer housing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 07:04   #5

If you have time, fabricate a new one or look for a replacement unit (i have a Vetus one also, good quality). If not, just patch it up... it will hold but try not to take too many shortcuts on the SW side, it can come back and bite you.
SorinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 07:23   #6

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Buy a SS kitchen mesh strainer? (sifting flour etc.). Push it out and cut to size. Cheap solution.
You can also clean your old mesh and close the hole with epoxy glue. Stitch some SS wire for better holding.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 08:54   #7

Boat: Brent Swain design 36' steel sloop

why not just patch hole with a small blob of epoxy and if gasket is deteriorating use a light grease coat as a release agent on all joining surfaces and replace with silicone--then trim excess
sunbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 10:23   #8

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Some copper wire and weave a patch into it. Costs little.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 11:08   #9

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Like Kalinka1 said . . . just buy another strainer. VETUS strainers are very good;
As a matter of fact, I just happen to have a spare one in my "treasure chest" . . . I installed it, only to find i needed 1/2" connections instead of 1.125" - Other than that, it has never seen water or been used . . . You're welcome to have it for $45 plus shipping cost.
The inlet & outlet spigots accommodate 1.125" hose, or you can fuse a smaller diam. .75" plastic water tube if needed.
The packing box measures 6" x 6-1/2" x 6-3/4" tall. Weight is 1lb - 30oz. . . . probably 2lb by the time it is wrapped for postage. let me know if you're interested.

BTW that price is $Can so you're getting a 25% discount on your money right there. Bob T.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 11:36   #10

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...The strainer is a Perko (that's the imprint on the clear plastic view sleeve) but they claim it is not theirs...
Pretty sure you misunderstood them. The strainer is obviously Perko--the mesh basket is not. If Perko no longer makes a replacement basket, you will have to either replace the whole strainer or adapt someone else's basket. Or hand make a new one.

These are typically made of Monel, not just some kitchen stainless found at the market. The present basket is failing because of the PO's cheap substitution. You can make a temporary repair. But you need a reliable, longer term solution.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 11:48   #11

Boat: Outremer 50S

At 3 1/2" diameter that still matches Perko's 1/2" and 3/4" inlet strainers. Is it 4" (1/2" inlet) or 6" (3/4" inlet) long? If it is then the 99D strainer basket is likely the original basket. Can you post a picture of the entire assembly?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 11:54   #12

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

stitch the hole or make a new screen to fit. but just do that till you can afford a new strainer. a failed strainer can cost you way more than a new strainer.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 17:33   #13

Location: Most of my life has been in coastal Maine, recently relocated to Tampa Bay area
Boat: Cy Hamlin/Joel White wood Yawl, 1968, 32', "Dulcibella"

You might advise about materials involved, bronze or SS, I would assume. I think that you could effectively form a new screen over some sort of form, maybe made of XPS with a coat of epoxy to firm the surface, or wood to get the shape and then trim to fit the ring and solder or weld or you could patch with some screen of same material like you would a door screen.
Good Luck.

Quote:
mainesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 20:24   #14

Quote:
I also use a Vetus strainer. If you want to keep going with your old one just get a couple of SS penny washers (7/8" or 1,1/4") and clamp them either side of the hole with a small set screw and nylock nut. It'll reduce the straining capacity by about 2% perhaps. Use a nylock nut so it doesnt come loose.

You could optionally dry the mesh with some meths and stick a small fibreglass patch on either side.

I know its a pain changing a component like that as its not just the cost of the new one but also mounting another design.

However if it already has a hole from age, the SS mesh may be getting a little brittle. You dont really want strands of wire going through the pump impeller as may have already happened. Any repair should just be temporary.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 03:03   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, nfliss.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men