Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 07:18   #1

Boat: 1970 Newport 30
What Size Outboard for Newport 30

Hi there everybody,

I have a 30' Newport whose engine Atomic 4 i just found out is going to have to be pulled out and rebuilt, but there is no way i have the money to do the job right now...maybe at the end of the year. But what I can afford is a reasonably priced outboard to hold me off and actually let me get the boat out this season. I know i want something in the 10-15 horsepower range (I'm leaning more towards 15) but I am wondering if there are any other specs I need to know about choosing the right outboard? I don't know about shaft length or prop?? The boat has a small lowering outboard rack where there used to sit a little 9.5HP. Could I possibly mount a 15 on it? and would it have to be a longshaft? Does any one know any good articles on proper measurement and sizing for outboards for sailboats?
Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch to all for looking,
Amigo
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 07:47   #2

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
You will want a longshaft outboard. If the current mount was rated for a 9.5 hp, do a search and find out the weight of the 9.5 and compare it to the 15hp weight you are considering. Due to the length of the boat, don't be surprised if the o/b prop comes out of the water and cavitates in anything but the calmest water. I suspect a 15hp two stroke will weigh about the same as a 9.5 two stroke. Soem of those articulating mouts can be flimsy, so make sure the weights and rating is right.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 14:37   #3

Boat: CS 36t
What do you want the outboard to do for you? Is it only for powering in light airs or is it for docking or dealing with high winds? If you only wanted a way to get back to a mooring in really light air with no current, 5hp would probably be enough but if you want to push into 30 knots of wind and 4' chop, you would need way more.

As Steve W said, you will need a longshaft. I would also recommend looking at a different propeller which is better matched to the application.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 15:08   #4

Boat: Cascade
I agree with the above and would like to add a rule of thumb that I was once told.

1 HP for every 500lbs displacement when sizing an inboard diesel.
Old 29-03-2010, 15:34   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Luckily you live in SF Bay where the engine is not used very much. I would take in to consideration what your docking procedure is. If you dock in a downwind berth in Emeryville that is going to require a good horsepower to stop you. If you are in a quiet berth in Sausilito 15 should be fine. The Atomic 4 had 30 hp.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newport vessels, outboard