Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 08:12   #1

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
What is My Rebuild-able Perkins 4107 Worth

I am trying to figure out what to do with this. So what is it worth? I have not figured out what is wrong with it yet. But it is not the fuel system. Injector pump just rebuilt, injectors rebuilt. But will not fire up. Tried compression test but stopped when I saw water in cylinders. Head rebuilt a few years ago so could be head gasket or wet liners. Anyway, I am replacing with Yanmar. Looking for rebuilder that may want it or ebay. Collective wisdom????
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 13:33   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: What is My Rebuild-able Perkins 4107 Worth

The question that you should ask is what would you pay for a non working old engine that is really hard to get any parts for?
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 13:35   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Nothing, unless of course you find someone that needs it. Then of course it's worth what they are willing to pay which could be quite a lot depending on how bad they want it and what they can afford of course, finding that person is the problem.
Maybe call a couple of engine re-builders and see if they are willing to purchase it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 15:03   #4

Before I bought the Yanmar I looked at
1: Rebuiild 4107. Parts were easily available. cost for lower unit about $1000. Included new pistons and liner etc.
2: used 4108, found one on ebay for 2-4k.
3: rebuilt 4108 long block 5-6K
4: new modern Yanmar which I decided on.
Bottom line 4107 parts were availble. But if I am going to that much effort I want a new style diesel.
If I part out the 4107 I think I could get $1500 total. Block hauled to dump.
Old 01-08-2014, 17:01   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I paid $1,000 (sing = ~$800USD) for a complete, disassembled Volvo MD2010. It had a brand new alternator and a brand new starter. Just these two spares were worth about US$700. I sold one head to a guy in Europe for $500.

The engine had an elbow failure that flooded the engine but prior to that corroded and trashed the alternator and starter. Owner started down the path to fix and gave up.

I will be disposing the case, crank, rods, bellhousing etc after my rebuild but now I have a complete set of rebuildable spare accessories including injector pump lift pump etc.

What your engine is worth is exactly as stated above. Worth what someone will pay. You part the parts and post on craig's list you make more money. Someone buys all together they want a deal. $1k is an interesting mental price point.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 17:47   #6

It has a certain value as a trade in "core" towards a "reman" engine.This may be direction you should look too if you wish same engine.I happen to hold Perkins in high esteem and certainly prefer to a Yanmar.Also you might ask if China made Perky or UK made.
.If your unit does not have cracked head or more importantly cracked block you'll do well to go for a reman unit thats been bench tested and ready to go with the addition of a limited warranty ! Google perkins remanufactured or reman then get on the phone.Not all reman cos are the same.Think about and list the questions to ask.Best to you.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:48   #7

As some one said above parts are hard to come by for 4107. That said I had no problem finding parts at this point . But Perkins is stopping supplying parts for it (as I have heard). I deal mostly with TAD and I am on a first name basis with them, which is not good. Foley has one rebuild kit on ebay for $1500.00 (but I would NOT deal with them under any circumstances).

My 4-107 I am sure was made in UK. I think the block is OK and will have head checked when I pull it next week.

Of the many people that have been down this road not throwing good money after bad is the consensus.
Here is a story
Six repowering mistakes to avoid - Ocean Navigator - July/August 2004
Old 02-08-2014, 16:15   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i think you will find parts are still available for that engine. it is worth nothing until it is rebuilt. then it is worth anywhere from 1500-4000 usd.
MAYBE.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:12   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Changing out an engine for a different mfg. can be VERY expensive especially if you are not going to do any of the work yourself. Just doing the little things like modifying fuel and electrical hookups can take hours. If you end up with considerable engine bed/shaft work it gets to be boat units just for the modifications. Rebuilding an existing engine can be way cheaper than just the cost of the rebuild.

Did you find out why you had water in the cylinder??? Could it have been something as simple as a failed anti syphon valve allowing water to flow back into the engine. If the head isn't trashed, you could probably get by with just relapping the valves since it's been so few hours since the last valve job. FWIU, 4-107's are infinitely rebuildable as long as the crank and block are still good. I'd go that route just to save the cost of fitting in a different engine. You'd up way way ahead.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins, rebuild