Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-01-2011, 08:21   #1

Boat: (Sold 2018) 47' Alwoplast Crowther Catamaran
What a Buzz-Kill ! Yanmar Mechanic Says . . .

Yipes...here I am in Marathon, FL about to head out for a month or two in the catamaran with the dogs and the little lady all ready to go and I called in the local Yanmar mechanic to check out the STOP engine problem I have been having on my YANMAR 4JH(3)HTE.

I have read all the relative post and threads and not seen this problem addressed before. (Yes I know my power has to be on...Yes I have replaced my stop or kill switch, yes I have power to and from the relay, as well as power to the wires into the internal mount solenoid and yes i have pulled the solenoid and it is working properly...clicking merrily away when the (Powered on) STOP button is pushed) But....the mechanic claims that my problem must be deeper and (I heard more expensive) I need to pull the pump and send it to a laboratory...that there is something wrong with the internal mechanism that shuts of the fuel flow inside the fuel pump ...since this appears to be about a $500 to $800 big bill for what I originally thought was just a bad $25 switch.....I thought I would get a second opinion from my community. Has anyone ever run across this before or do you have alternate ideas on what to try? I am just heading out using the manual lever to kill the engine for now so the rush is off...but the buzz is killed and I really would like to get it back.

Your ideas gratefully received and appreciated.

Sailor Vee.... off Sombrero Beach, Marathon FL

Tags
mechanic, yanmar