Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2007, 21:49   #1

BVI - Yanmar Engine Mechanic

Did a search regarding engine surveys but did not see any entries.
Picked up the local dealer - Parts & Power in Tortola from Yanmar web site.
Does anyone have a personal recommendation for a mechanic to do a thorough engine survey?
Thanks in advance!
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 04:21   #2

Parts and power is as good as it gets down there. What is the boat? what engines?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 11:30   #3

More Details

NM: Thanks for the response. I've been a fan of your participation on the forum for awhile.
It's a Yanmar 3GM30F......approx 4500 hrs.........on a Jeanneau 37' mono
Old 19-08-2007, 14:26   #4

You should be able to get them to have a look and get an unofficial survey. I don't know their stance on official surveys. If the boat has been there a few years, they probably know it's partial history if not complete.
In general there are few things to go wrong with a 3GM. Your absolute worst case scenario is only about 4-5k on a rebuild and 9k ish on a repower.
Old 19-08-2007, 14:42   #5

Dufference?

NM: Thanks again............Why would they be hesitant to provide an "official" one?
Old 19-08-2007, 14:58   #6

When you provide a customer a "survey" in exchange for $$$ there are liabilities that are attached to that transaction. These can extend well above and beyond "reasonable and customary"
If I do a pre-purchase inspection. I can document what I find, and what my opinion of the unit is from my experience. Because of the syntax difference. I really have no liability for future problems not found at the time of the survey.
Case in point.
I look at an engine for you, you buy the boat. First thing you do is change the oil. Well during the change the filter gets double gasketed. Now oil is spewed out of the engine and it knocks. Some people will blame this on the surveyor and claim his insurance for a problem not found during the survey.

Most mechanics/engine dealers won't perform official surveys. You'll have to check with the local dealer for their practices.
Old 19-08-2007, 15:13   #7

Got It

NM: OK, now I understand the difference & it makes sense from the mechanic's point of view.
Thanks again for input & education.
Old 28-08-2007, 07:18   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
I have spoken directly to the owner of Parts and Power and he will not do a survey of the engine because of the liability on his part if they miss something. I spoke with him this past June because my M494's engine was overheating and is due to come out of contract June, 08. I also was trying to get a surveyor for my engine and can't find one either. If I get a surveyor and he/she tells me, in writing, I need the engine replaced or parts replaced it would be much easier for me to get The Moorings to do it.

I had a 3GM30F installed which replaced my Atomic 4, in Ct., and the final cost to me after I purchased the engine myself and having the yard rebuild the engine beds to fit the new engine came out to $12,000. That was 3 years ago.
Old 28-08-2007, 07:47   #9

Trying to Solve

NM (Pat) - I'm in BVI now.........Nanny Cay to be exact......trying to weave my way thru "official" & inspection survey.
Recommendation from surveyor (feels Parts & Power are harder to schedule & travel for such a "small" request) is another engine guy.
Trying to understand the best steps to really get a feel for engine condition.......so far it's visual check, compression test & oil analysis.
Are there other steps you feel are critical?

The boat surveyor did discover a cracked exhaust elbow that was leaking down below even as far down to engine mount (corrosion visible)

Sonny: I feel your "pain" of trying to get a clearer answer. Hopefully this afternoon, the picture will start to fill in.
Old 28-08-2007, 08:02   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO 49
Something you may want to do if you have not done this already. Look for RUST over the engine especially where there are cooling parts/sections. If you see any signs of rust there is some type of fresh water leak. The engines are generally fresh water cooled. I check my M494 everytime I get down to the BVI. One time I found the impellor was leaking and this was after they replaced the impellor. They just replaced it and never checked to see if it was leaking salt water. In 3 months (between visits there was rust beneath the impellor housing. They are supposed to check this out between every charter and they didn't do anything about it. I email them to let them know I am coming down for owners use and they are supposed to take care of everything for me and sometimes they don't.
Old 28-08-2007, 08:49   #11

Run it, and hard. 3000-3200 RPM. It'll show most problems with a good hard motor.
Leaks are high on the priority list in salt water. See how easy it starts. Is it hard to turn over by hand? Are the mounts seperating? fuel leaks?
Old 28-08-2007, 10:04   #12

Great - that matches

NM: thanks for add'l steps to take.........local engine guy has gotten very high marks from a few sources........
A couple of other observations by the Surveyor yesterday
1) Only 160 degrees water temp..........missing thermostat?
2) Blue tint smoke @ approx 2500 rpm on it's way up

A complicating fact while motoring yesterday was a bent prop blade & not sure that prop is sized correctly.........so higher revs >1800 produced vibrations & the engine would not rev above 2800-3000.

What an interesting journey this is...........
Thanks Again!
Old 28-08-2007, 10:16   #13

160 is ok, not a worry yet. The vibration is a big worry. Will the engine rev to 3700 no load?
Old 29-08-2007, 12:15   #14

Kinda OK?

NM: Thanks for response, just as I was reading your note yesterday, the mechanic showed up albeit late (or right on ilon time)........
He also said 160 degrees was not a problem but his boss later said it would be probably a good idea to peek at the thernostat & cap.

To your question, yes the engine will rev freely up to nearly 4000 with no load (surveyor tested that on Monday.

The mechanic ended doing a "visual" inspection & compression test.
Visual = Clear with the exception of exhaust elbow found Monday
Compression Results .... Dry = 200 on two and 220 on one, Wet = 310 on 2 and 300 on one
We also pulled oil & it was sent for analysis.......
I'm on my way back home with a new "discoveries" about this boat.
Thanks again

Tags
British Virgin Islands, mechanic, yanmar