Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 11:58   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34
VOLVO PENTA 2003 cannot move after 3 months

Hello,

I took out 2 of my 3 injectors for cleaning (I did not managed to get out the third one) and left the engine for 3 months - now back at the boat installed the injectors connected everything and the engine cannot move - already try - blowing air in one of the cylinders to get the thing moving - no luck the air escapes thought the rings when hi-pressure, I've try manually with hitting the pulley at the front - no luck , the starter is not able to move the engine also, I've try plus-gas lubricator in the two open cylinders to unblock - no luck, I've try filling cylinders with oil and left it for 5 hours - no luck

is it really possible a cylinder to get stuck if left open for 3 months ? - the injector hole was covered with duster... e.g. not much air or moisture should be entering... I have left before the boat without starting for 6 month and all was fine...

ANY SUGGESTIONS HOW TO MAKE MY SHAFT MOVING IS WELCOME AS I'M REALLY STUCK AT THE MOMENT AND CANNOT FIND A VIABLE SOLUTION SO FAR
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 13:24   #2

Re: VOLVO PENTA 2003 cannot move after 3 months

I reckon you may have loosed one of the copper sleeves that the injectors fit into allowing coolant to leak into one or more cylinders. These sleeves often loosen when removing stubborn injectors, if this has happened the Head will need to come off, taken to a machine shop for reaming and a new sleeve fitted. Taking the Head off will Allow you to confirm any water tracks & Access to seized area.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 14:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
I reckon you may have loosed one of the copper sleeves that the injectors fit into allowing coolant to leak into one or more cylinders. These sleeves often loosen when removing stubborn injectors, if this has happened the Head will need to come off, taken to a machine shop for reaming and a new sleeve fitted. Taking the Head off will Allow you to confirm any water tracks & Access to seized area.
I was especially very careful when removing the injectors because of the usual issue with the sleeves... that is why I didn't remove the third injector as it was stuck and I did not want to risk to loosen the sleeve...
Old 29-01-2017, 14:50   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

What happens when you open the compression release? Can you manually turn it then?
Old 29-01-2017, 18:18   #5

No I can't - no difference , decompression on or off, injectors in or out , feels like someone has put a "stik in the wheel" , will try with a bugger wrench with extention pipe 2 meters tomorrow
Old 30-01-2017, 09:19   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 456 Carisma 1984
Send a message via Skype™ to sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
No I can't - no difference , decompression on or off, injectors in or out , feels like someone has put a "stik in the wheel" , will try with a bugger wrench with extention pipe 2 meters tomorrow
Probably water has gone trough exhaust to cylinder
sotavento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 10:13   #7

Managed to unblock the engine - using a 2m long plank bolted to the pulley at the front which is attached to the shaft and drive the belt ....

took a hard push and all is good now - had some trouble the first 2-3 turns after that things got oiled properly and all good and running like new with the cleaned injectors now

the lesson learned is do not leave cylinders open for long period and the rings get stuck...
Old 30-01-2017, 10:19   #8
woc

Boat: Lagoon450

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
Hello,

I took out 2 of my 3 injectors for cleaning (I did not managed to get out the third one) and left the engine for 3 months - now back at the boat installed the injectors connected everything and the engine cannot move - already try - blowing air in one of the cylinders to get the thing moving - no luck the air escapes thought the rings when hi-pressure, I've try manually with hitting the pulley at the front - no luck , the starter is not able to move the engine also, I've try plus-gas lubricator in the two open cylinders to unblock - no luck, I've try filling cylinders with oil and left it for 5 hours - no luck

is it really possible a cylinder to get stuck if left open for 3 months ? - the injector hole was covered with duster... e.g. not much air or moisture should be entering... I have left before the boat without starting for 6 month and all was fine...

ANY SUGGESTIONS HOW TO MAKE MY SHAFT MOVING IS WELCOME AS I'M REALLY STUCK AT THE MOMENT AND CANNOT FIND A VIABLE SOLUTION SO FAR
Hi, I just completed a overhaul on my Cummings generator engine after a similar experience. The injector had been out only one month...
We found one of the pistons had the rings corroded solid to the cylinder liner.
If you have access to a hydraulic handpump normally used with hydraulic jacks and can make up a fitting to fit to the injector hole you may be able to break it free. One word of caution, " if" you break it free you must likely will have more damage running the engine with corroded rings and end up with a more costly repair. Depending on access, pulling the cylinder head in situ would give you the best chance to evaluate the problem.
The good news is that the damage at the moment is minimal but may require the engine to be pulled and overhauled. Running the engine after being stuck, not recommended. Best of luck
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 10:35   #9

at this stage I'm not planing to do any overhaul.... hopefully I will not need one - if I get in the position to have some issues - lost of compression or something else, most likely will try to completely re-power with Beta 4cyl or some other 4cyl engine - got really fedup with this 3cyl engine every boat that I have owned with 3cyl has been awful on engine no matter how new or how old was the boat...
Old 13-11-2017, 07:06   #10

Boat: Mctintosh 42 ft. Ketch

Do the 2003T volvos have a compression release? Thanks
James Plyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 07:10   #11

Boat: Mctintosh 42 ft. Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
What happens when you open the compression release? Can you manually turn it then?
Does the Volvo 2003T have a compression release ? Thank You
James Plyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 12:58   #12

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Plyler View Post
Does the Volvo 2003T have a compression release ? Thank You
Yes, the lever at the forward end of the vale cover.
Old 13-11-2017, 14:46   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41

given the cost of a bore scope has dropped so dramatically or a mate may have one. Don't you think it would be a good idea to scope the bore and make sure there are no real problems in there?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo