Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2009, 13:26   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Volvo MD2030 SW Pump - Rebuild or Replace?

And so the love affair with Volvo-Penta begins.......

Had a discussion with the local VP mechanic about the SW cooling pumps that are now leaking from their shafts. One is not too bad - just seeing water stains on the hose. The other is dripping about 6 - 10 drops a minute.

Mechanic guy says that rebuilding the pump requires a press to get the shaft & seal out. Then you must press the new bearing onto the shaft, and press the shaft, bearing and seal back into the housing.

His claim is that for the cost of the rebuild kit plus the 2 hours of labor charge it takes, I could just buy a new pump and be done with it. At $300 x 2 this seems more than a bit outrageous...

So - have any of you done this pump rebuild yourselves? Is it easier than described or should I just buy a new pump?
Old 29-01-2009, 15:35   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
These pumps are easy to rebuild.

www.depcopump.com

This is a common thing in the marine industry. It is easier and more profitable for them to sell you a new pump than to rebuild the old.

Get a rebuild kit from depco....you WILL need the pump number and they will ask you if it has threaded ports (pipe thread) or slip ports...If you have slip ports, order a few of the o-rings.

We will walk you through this.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 15:40   #3

damn, wish I could get that labor for a 1/2 hour job.

the parts kit from Volvo is about 140.

Do this soon, the sea water leaking can corrode the front cover away. That's expensive $1400 for parts.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 06:33   #4

You guys are great - as usual. Many thanks!
Old 30-01-2009, 06:53   #5

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Do this soon, the sea water leaking can corrode the front cover away. That's expensive $1400 for parts.
Having suffered myself the consequences of procrastinating with my leaky pump, I firmly vouch that this is excellent advice!!
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 18:54   #6

OK I guess it's high time I rebuilt this thing. Not that the salt stain on the housing indicates a problem or anything.....

I have the parts breakdown diagram and a new shaft seal & impeller kit. Any tips before I tear into it?

Old 30-04-2009, 20:51   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Mark,
After seeing that pic, I'd better look at my MD2020. I've always wondered where the bilge water was coming from...

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 21:22   #8

Boat: Cooper Maple Leaf 42
Hi Mark I watched a Volvo mechanic rebuild my pump as I was not in home port with all the tools he did use a press when installing the bearings on the shaft. The thing to be aware of is the rub plate on the inside of pump can be placed incorrectly so that the cover will not be flush with the pump body.
Also there is a screw that holds this plate in place the cap screw goes through the valve body one should use a sealant to prevent water from migrating around the threads and out . Good luck
Sergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 21:36   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
MarkPJ,

How many hours do you have on your engine?

Steve B,
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:30   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergy View Post
Hi Mark I watched a Volvo mechanic rebuild my pump as I was not in home port with all the tools he did use a press when installing the bearings on the shaft. The thing to be aware of is the rub plate on the inside of pump can be placed incorrectly so that the cover will not be flush with the pump body.
Also there is a screw that holds this plate in place the cap screw goes through the valve body one should use a sealant to prevent water from migrating around the threads and out . Good luck
Thanks for the tip.

[quote]..How many hours do you have on your engine?..[/quote}

1144 plus 20 since the hour meter quit

I spent some time changing the access plate gasket first thinking that was the source of the leak. I soon realized that the shaft seal was the culprit. Found big chunks of dried salt underneath the engine pump housing. It's a shame the P.O. let this go for so long as I have some corrosion on the engine housing. Nothing too serious yet... but this could get expensive if left untreated.... as others have already noted.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:50   #11

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post

Had a discussion with the local VP mechanic about the SW cooling pumps that are now leaking from their shafts. One is not too bad - just seeing water stains on the hose. The other is dripping about 6 - 10 drops a minute.

Mechanic guy says that rebuilding the pump requires a press to get the shaft & seal out. Then you must press the new bearing onto the shaft, and press the shaft, bearing and seal back into the housing.

His claim is that for the cost of the rebuild kit plus the 2 hours of labor charge it takes, I could just buy a new pump and be done with it. At $300 x 2 this seems more than a bit outrageous...

So - have any of you done this pump rebuild yourselves? Is it easier than described or should I just buy a new pump?
Markpj, I rebuilt one of my sw pumps on an MD2030B and it wasn't too difficult. I believe the cost of the rebuild parts was about $140 and it included all the bushings, seals and shaft. I didn't need a press, but bought a puller from Discount Auto for about 20 bucks to pull the bearings off. Just pay close attention the the sequence of bushings, seals & circlips as you take the old shaft out so you can put the new one together the same way.

I'm going to rebuild my other pump this summer since the oil seal is leaking. I'll be in Apollo Beach if you want to see what it looks like.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Boy if I'd only known how prophetic that comment was....

I took apart the port unit and quickly realized that its condition was worse than I had hoped. I sent them both to Depco Pump for evaluation, and they called with the bad news yesterday. Both shafts are grooved around the seals and must be replaced. Better news is that they are back-ordered form the German supplier until August. Add to that a junk housing, trashed speed-seal covers and other assorted goodies and it's all a disaster.

At least I found 2 new replacements on-line for less than the local VP bandits would charge.

Gotta love these summer love affairs.....
Old 20-05-2009, 06:32   #13

Drive gear nut - Torque Specs?

I have the new pumps aboard now and will have to transfer the drive gears to the new pumps.
Anyone know the torque spec for the nut that holds the drive gear on the shaft?
Old 08-08-2021, 22:41   #14

Re: Volvo MD2030 SW Pump - Rebuild or Replace?

I'm also having the leak like this. At first I thought it was the hose underneath, then replaced the hose , doesn't work. Then replaced the faceplate gasket. Doesn't work. Then found that it's from the shaft seal

Is there a way to replace the shaft seal without taking out the entire pump? I'm not trying to rebuild it. Just replacing the shaft seal

I saw some posts saying to push out the old seal with a angled pick. How tight is the seal? Is it made with rubber? Or rubber plus metal?

Anyone could give a link to the replacement part? Thanks
Yangyangyyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
md2030, rebuild, volvo